Help! Need help with instal of mods!

svtTom01

Motorboatin' S.O.B
Established Member
I live up in Minnesota as you can tell, but I really want to know where I can get help for installing some mods. I want to install a pulley but am a little intimidated. Also will be installing a chip and CAI. I know the CAI should be any easy one, but where can I go to get the other things installed? Where is going to be the closest place I can go? I live in Shakopee, about 35 minutes southwest of Minneapolis/St. Paul. All input is greatly appreciated!

speeder

Established Member
Tom

Like larry said, its not that hard to install the lower pulley and chip, when I installed my lower pulley it only took me 40 minutes start to finish, and I hard never done a pulley before, do you have the tools needed to remove the pulley?, the chip took about the same amount of time, I could have done it quicker but I was taking my time.

Larry.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Tom like both larrys said it is real easy, just look at the instructions and go for it
just make sure you clean the computer real good for the chip
if you dont the truck wont start but dont worry it wont hurt it youll just have to do it over again

svtTom01

Motorboatin' S.O.B
Established Member
That would be my next question. What tools will I need? Also, I think I'll be getting my stuff from JDM, and it will be a 4 lb pulley. Do I want to get a lower pulley or upper pulley? I want the truck to be drivable so I think I'll be content with just a chip, CAI, and pulley.

Nazgul

Black Rider
Established Member
Most pulley installs are lower pulleys. Upper pulleys require a machine shop press or changing the whole snout assembly.

I had a hard time removing my stock lower pulley. I ended up doing a search (nloc.net) for 'pulley removal', and combined several techniques.

These included using a hardened allen socket, a pipe wrench, a come-along, a torch, and a sledgehammer, in that order, to break the original free. Sounds like working on a Chevy, huh?

Before resorting to using these tools, I twisted off a 1/2" breaker bar end in the socket. Took me about 2.5 hours to drill the square piece out of the socket.

The new pulley install was like 2 minutes.

I have the JLP 'ram' air cai. It was also easy to install. I drilled an extra hole in the scoop to make it lower and level. I had a Pro-M 92mm mas before, but since I drive on road courses, I wanted cooler intake air. The performance difference between the Pro-M 92mm with K&N-type filter, and the JLP cai with stock 90mm mas is not noticable. I've dynoed with both. It basically comes down to a difference of more air/hot vs. less air/cold. I may try to fit the Pro-M to the JLP box...

The chip is easy to install yourself. But I'd recommend having it tuned on a dyno, if possible.

Good luck, and find some friends who can hold a wrench instead of a long neck...

Paul

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Nazgul
Upper pulleys require a machine shop press or changing the whole snout assembly.
Paul

Hey Paul, times have changed. The Amazon Racing puller works great. Only takes one person and about ten minutes to change it. I've heard of other people having problems with their lower pulley. I had mine off in about 15 minutes. Most new pullies come with the allen socket and engine locking tool. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread