HELP Need advice!! 96 Cobra rebuild!

mustanglyf

Established Member
Ok guys, as my luck goes a connecting rod broke and put a nice big hole through the block on my 96 cobra engine. I'm thinking of buying a shortblock from MMR (Specs below) and putting my heads/intake on it. What do you guys think/recommend??

MMR 4.6 Street Mod 600 (up to 600HP) 2V, 3V or 4V
*Brand New Cast Iron 2004 Cobra Block, torque plate bored and honed
*New Ford Racing Cast Iron Crankshaft rated up to 600HP (8 bolt or 6 bolt)
*New 4340 5.933 MMR (Modular Mustang Racing) I-beam Rods, these rods are
shotpeened, magnafluxed and weight matched w/ ARP Hardware
*New Forged Manley lightweight pistons
*Speed Pro file fit rings (precision file fit to your application,
nitrous, blower, turbo or N/A)
* Tri-metal Rod and Main bearings
*Complete Pro Assembly and Balancing for the smoothest, highest revving
shortblock available, Pre-Lubricated with Royal Purple Assembly Lube and spin tested. Lastly 3 technicians sign off on your new engine prior to packaging and crating.

mustanglyf

Established Member
One other thing does anyone know what the actual difference is between the 96-97 engine harness and the 98? The 96 cobra engine and wiring harness is in my 98 GT. Everything works except for the temp gauge, my 98 used a two wire while the 96 only has one. Was thinking of buying a 98 cobra wiring harness and just replacing it while the engine is out. Should it work or no?

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I would get your heads ported and new lifters put on, port and shorten your intake as well. NA SVT can do these for ya. MMR is going to be getting my business as well here with the next few months. You can probably reuse your crank as well

Last edited:

mustanglyf

Established Member
I would eventually like to have it supercharged but as of now it is my daily driver, or was until yesterday haha.

mustanglyf

Established Member
99-01 head swap or stay with the 'B' heads?

So while I have everything out of the car to replace the shortblock I thought of upgrading to the 99-01 heads and intake. Would the gains if any be worth the trouble? Or should I just stick with the 'B' heads I already have? Also I know that I can use my valve covers on the 'C' heads to get around doing a COP conversion and I would need a longer throttle and cruise cable to fit the 99-01 intake but other than that what other changes would have to be made?

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
If you plan on eventually getting a supercharger, I would stay with B heads.

The power differences between c and b heads are too small to really matter if you are blowing boost through the motor anyways.

mustanglyf

Established Member
If you plan on eventually getting a supercharger, I would stay with B heads.

The power differences between c and b heads are too small to really matter if you are blowing boost through the motor anyways.

What about the IMRC plates then? Should I leave them or go ahead and put delete plates in? With it not currently being FI will I loose alot on the bottom end?
The bad part about this is that the money I'm now having to put into a shortblock was going to pay for a 10 PSI procharger setup, but at least the rod broke BEFORE I spent the money on that. Regardless it may be a while before I'm can go forward with the SC install now so I'm trying to determine my best course of action for the time being.

Last edited:

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
I have a aluminum wap block for sale, so you dont have to use the 03 heavy a.. block. I have an 03 block in mine and im going back to aluminum bc that extra weight sucks and my car feels like a truck with it.

Users who are viewing this thread