Help, my vert is leaking....

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
It leaks at the rear window.

I'm located in Knoxville, TN.

Does anyone know of somewhere locally I can take the car to have it fixed?

Or is there a repair kit?

thanks.

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
Is it leaking from the seam that goes straight down from the rear window? If so, this is a common problem on our verts. You have two options according to the shop that just replaced my top.
1. Replace the rear window.
2. Get a black RTV sealant place, place some tape around the area to avoid slopping it on other areas, and fill the seam with the RTV being careful not to get it in the wrong spots. This will buy you a few years.

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
Is it leaking from the seam that goes straight down from the rear window? If so, this is a common problem on our verts. You have two options according to the shop that just replaced my top.
1. Replace the rear window.
2. Get a black RTV sealant place, place some tape around the area to avoid slopping it on other areas, and fill the seam with the RTV being careful not to get it in the wrong spots. This will buy you a few years.

Well here's the deal, I assumed it was leaking at the base of the window because about 2/5ths from the driver side, it appears the adhesive has worn off (between the window and the vert material) because it's not attached anymore (the other 3/5ths is still attached just fine). BUT I thought I could temporarily fix it by placing 2" tape at the detached areas (ugly I know). But it still leaks, so now I’m starting to think, A) it's leaking in at the driver side vertical area at the window, and/or B) it's leaking at the lowest most point in the back near the trunk (where the end of the convertible mat ends and the trunk area begins).

Last edited:

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
Where are you getting the water? Is it inside the trunk or in the dust cover inside the vehicle? Mine was collecting inside the dust cover inside the vehicle. Annoying as hell when driving and listening to water slosh around. If it is from there it is most likely from the vertical an the window unless you have a tear where the top meets the body. That is easy to check for by lowering the top and inspecting that area. If it was leaking between the body and the car, if I recall correctly, it will leak in to the trunk.

If it is your rear window horizontal, you can probably temporarily seal it using the RTV method I described above.

1989CobraMakeOv

mustangoholic
Established Member
Where are you getting the water? Is it inside the trunk or in the dust cover inside the vehicle? Mine was collecting inside the dust cover inside the vehicle. Annoying as hell when driving and listening to water slosh around. If it is from there it is most likely from the vertical an the window unless you have a tear where the top meets the body. That is easy to check for by lowering the top and inspecting that area. If it was leaking between the body and the car, if I recall correctly, it will leak in to the trunk.

If it is your rear window horizontal, you can probably temporarily seal it using the RTV method I described above.

this....

Where does the water go? When it sloshes out, does it eventually drain out of the car? I've noticed my passenger side floor area gets soaked after it sloshes out. Can this cause rust in the floor board.... i'm assuming so, dumb question....

So you went ahead and replaced your entire top? What did that cost total?

Last edited:

M.P. Cobra Fan

Are you my baby's momma?
Established Member
My leak was not horrible. I would get about a 1/4" during each heavy rain. I usually just toweled it out.

As for my replacement, I took it and had it done. I did not feel lke tackling that job. It cost me $775 at a local shop here to have done.

omj

Established Member
If you decide to fix this yourself, let me know. I have the exact same problem. I work in Kingston and could meet you sometime to see if you can help you. If you get a replacement top, get one from an 03/04 Cobra. Canvas is so much nicer than vinyl.

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
Knoxville party time. A friend of mine was looking at getting a canvas top for his '95 Cobra and it was going to be over $1k after install. Seems like you should be able to repair though.

How do you like the MGW?

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
I had the same problem a little while ago, (water collecting on the dust cover under the rear window). Fixed it by squeezing RTV silicone in the seams. I'm probably going to need a new top soon though

b-radfromtheva

N.O.S.
Established Member
just a heads up, we replaced my top at my folks house around last march and took us 3 days(just makin sure everything was right), if you can find somebody that will do it for 800 or so (it is a task to take on for someone who hasnt done it before) you might just want to let them do it if they will warrenty it, if not and you are up for the challenge get a buddy and try and take it on yourself, i did and mine turned out pretty dang good if i do say so myself with no leaks once soever(factory sailcloth material), you will have to find a local shop to get some clips from though cause you will more than likely break a few and some just need replacin while you are there, and you will want to make sure it is gonna be a clear window in the weather for a few days and fairly warm so the material will lay down, spread out and stretch and when your done your gonna wanna make sure its tight and fairly hard to latch(for the first few weeks i just about had to hang from mine to get it to latch(160 lbs)) it will stretch out and fit right

thats just if ya try it that is, i know mine was beyond repairable, i had holes behind each door glass when i got it that you could shove a softball through so yea...

Last edited:

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
^^ Uhhh.... So on a scale (1-10) how hard would you say it is and about how much $$? Plus how did you learn? I heard there's an instructional video out

omj

Established Member
I had the same problem a little while ago, (water collecting on the dust cover under the rear window). Fixed it by squeezing RTV silicone in the seams. I'm probably going to need a new top soon though

Which seams? Can you post a pick or something? I don't want to rtv the wrong spot and glue my top into position or something like that. Also, an elastic strap is now visible on each side of my rear glass. What's the deal with that?
I like the MGW a lot more than the triax that was in there.

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
mine was the seams between the vinyl and the edging that meets the body...
especially between the overlaps of the side and the section under the rear glass.

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
I like the MGW a lot more than the triax that was in there.

Exactly what I wanted to know. I like the triax in my t5 from years ago and was wondering if the MGW was better. Sorry for side-tracking off the vert top issue. If you need something to compare to, I work in Knoxville. I know I kept peeking at verts to compare their alignment with mine when I was working on my rear quarter window issue.

Last edited:

b-radfromtheva

N.O.S.
Established Member
if i remember right it was around 4 to 450 at most for new top with glass, and yea the video come with it(prob watched it 100+ times, helps alot) if you can just quick fix it with it gettin cold right around the corner ya might wanna go that route

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread