help: My cobra has a hole in it!

pauliac

Established Member
I pulled my '98 cobra out of the garage yesterday to find a small puddle of oil on the floor, and it dripped the whole way down the driveway. I went under the car and discovered that it was leaking from the metal assembly that the oil filter screws into. There's a hole in it. How does that even happen?

Anyway, my question is, is the thing that it's leaking from the oil pump?

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
take the filter off, tighen the bung that the filter screws on to. ill have to look up torque specs. i cant remember the size, maybe 32mm hex-head socket... someone will correct me. do that first, then put the filter on and top the oil off, should fix it.

xonecrazyx

Established Member
if it has a hole in adapter most likely something hit it . get a new one . drain coolant . at least its in driveway and not on road . could be replacing engine if it ran out of oil

Toasty

Established Member
if it has a hole in adapter most likely something hit it . get a new one . drain coolant . at least its in driveway and not on road . could be replacing engine if it ran out of oil

Wrong info most likely.

The oil coolers have a 'weep' hole, similar to what a water pump has, that oil will run out of if the cooler becomes a tiny bit loose or if the gaskets/o-rings in the assembly get worn.

DO a search, but someone a while back posted which gaskets you needed and ford part numbers for them. I cant remember if the parts are still available from Ford or not.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I have an 98 engine on the stand. I can find no weep hole....any pics? Might be good to check it but as I know weep holes show that a shaft seal is going bad (not sure what else they are good for) but I know of no moving parts in the oil cooler and I can not find a weep hole.

Toasty

Established Member
I have an 98 engine on the stand. I can find no weep hole....any pics? Might be good to check it but as I know weep holes show that a shaft seal is going bad (not sure what else they are good for) but I know of no moving parts in the oil cooler and I can not find a weep hole.

I think Moutine posted a thread with a bunch of pics showing a cooler with a weep hole? I cant recall excatly, but I seem to recall some discussion around oil leakage from some hole in the cooler. I may just be blowing smoke up your you.know.what . :shrug:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
i have a 99 on the lift right behind me, and there is a tiny hole in it. ill post pics when i get home. dont sure if the 99 up coolers are diffrent, dont see why they would be.

MustangBetty

I remember when that happened to me. I thought I cracked the block, never seen oil pour out of a engine like that lol.

As Slow95Cobra said, Take off your oil filter. In the center of the cooler's threads is a large hex head. Tighten with the correct size wrench.

You can be fine without replacing the gasket.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It's not necessarily the Oil cooler itself, it's one of the gaskets/o-rings.
I have one of the O-rings, and the gasket. PM me if you're interested in them.

Yes, the oil cooler does have a weep hole, but it's only their to tell you that there's a bad o-ring or gasket.

Last edited by a moderator:

MouTine

Established Member
Yep, Toasty... Pictures don't show exactly the weep hole but it is there. I allso do have tiny little oil drip sometimes but bigger worry is that coolant leak. I have brand new unit waitning to install, but I'll do it same time when it's time to oil & filter change. I will get back to that topic I posted when I get down with that thing.

http://www.nic.fi/~moutine/mustang/oc.jpg
http://www.nic.fi/~moutine/mustang/oc02.jpg
http://www.nic.fi/~moutine/mustang/oc03.jpg
http://www.nic.fi/~moutine/mustang/oc04.jpg
http://www.nic.fi/~moutine/mustang/oc05.jpg

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Yeah, I've seen all of those photos too, but damned If I know where they are now ...

I'd buy the O-ring and gasket from badass98svt, install them, and then take it from there. It'll be good experience for you.

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
0429081313.gif

you can kinda see it

MouTine

Established Member
Maybe it wasnt Moutine's pics, but I seem to recall that I saw a cooler out of a car on a bench (pic) that showed a small weep hole somewhere. :shrug:

I could easily be wrong.

Well... If you know where to look for, you can see it in 02 picture.

Helomech74

Established Member
Just remove that sucker and toss it in the garbage. Then get either the Moroso block plate and relocate the filter, or get a GT filter mount without the cooler on it. No difference in oil temps here without mine on. I used the Moroso plate and relocated the filter. No more issues at all.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Helomech, any pics of your install?
Got a link to the Moroso kit.
The 2 pieces I have SHOULD fix his issue though.

Users who are viewing this thread