Help my assess my current automotive situation

MrBonus

Established Member
As many of you are aware, I'm currently the owner of an Evolution. I love this car dearly HOWEVER I'm worried with some of the problems that are arising with them (Not mine... Yet). The transfer cases (Which are ridiculously expensive) are breaking. Mine hasn't but I'm worried it will. A low 12-second car isn't fun if you have to baby it everywhere.

Anyway, my original plan was to wait until the next generation of Cobra was released. However, I'm hearing that they're intending on going N/A (No thanks!) so I'd rather have the current generation's boosted version (As they'll probably be tommorow's Grand National).

As of now, if there isn't a viable solution for the current transfer case problem, I don't see myself keeping the Evo for an extended period.

So in April, I'm thinking of going to the local dealership. They have a beautiful Competition Orange Coupe they can't seem to get rid of it. If I can get them down to 31-32k and get a good financing deal I might trade-in the Evo.

Is this a prudent decision? I'm worried about taking a hit on 1-year old car but I'm not paying 2,500 everytime I want to drag race and the transfer case takes a dump.

I'm just looking for input. If you've got a comment about the Evolution in general, spare it.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
invoice should be around 33k or so. good luck on 31 to 32 k for the car. the evo is well beyond value considering the performance the car gives out. if you have "the plan" you should drop in the 31 to 32 range on a 2004 cobra. i have to see the 1 in the showroom every day and it is comp orange as well:bash:

MrBonus

Established Member
Originally posted by bbp42d
invoice should be around 33k or so. good luck on 31 to 32 k for the car. the evo is well beyond value considering the performance the car gives out. if you have "the plan" you should drop in the 31 to 32 range on a 2004 cobra. i have to see the 1 in the showroom every day and it is comp orange as well:bash:

Well, I'm not necessarily in a hurry to purchase one. I might just "wait it out" until I can get the price I want (Even if it means waiting 'till the end of the model year).

Another consideration is wait until the new body style is released and either pick up a leftover or a slightly-used one at a nice discount. I'm expecting a substantial raise by next year and may be able to afford to keep the Evo and get a Cobra as well.

To be honest, I'm a quarter-mile junky and have no desire to race on the streets. Of course, this is a testament to how much I had to LOVE the Evo to buy it. This car is incredible.

However, I adore the boosted Cobras as well. :p

As I said, I'm using you all as a sounding board for my thoughts. Thanks for any input.

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
the deal would be to keep what you got and buy a used cobra with low miles. i am waiting as well. one day the right 1 will come in on trade from a mature owner and i will wisk it away:p

SVTHorsnake

Banned
well, normally I would say don't do it, but since you're doing for more reasons than "I want a Cobra", I think it's fine. It's partly a financial investment decision too. you don't want to deal with the transfer case, and you believe the Terminator is the next grand national which implies you'll keep it for a while. If you're going to keep it for a long time, I think you're safe on taking out a sizable loan...

Good Luck on your decision:beer:

MrBonus

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTHorsnake
well, normally I would say don't do it, but since you're doing for more reasons than "I want a Cobra", I think it's fine. It's partly a financial investment decision too. you don't want to deal with the transfer case, and you believe the Terminator is the next grand national which implies you'll keep it for a while. If you're going to keep it for a long time, I think you're safe on taking out a sizable loan...

Good Luck on your decision:beer:

You make a good point but so does the above poster.

I think I'm going to wait until I can buy one and keep the Evo unless the absolute perfect price can be found. I'm in no hurry.

I'm going to test the waters in April; if I can get one without increasing my total auto payment by more than $120, I'll do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread