Help me with my decision......

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
Long read, but i need opinions and advice:

K, heres the deal. my work might cover this, they might not, i wont know for like a week or maybe 2 (i cant have my car down that long). the managers are dead set on helping me out regardless of what happens. they be gunnin' for me! so i got that estimate ($8,308.88) and i think its a bit high, but that is a top end body shop. so my insurance guy says that this might not be a "chargeable event" which would mean ide get all the work done with no increase in my rate, just have to pay the deductible. KBB says my car is worth 9700 in good condition and 10500 in exelent condition for private party (i dont know what value the insurance companies go by). from what i can see my baby is never gonna be the same. so if BJ's doesnt cover it i want to total it as a none chargeable event and get a new car. i still owe about 3000 on my car and if i got 9700 for my car ide have to take out another 3000 dollar loan to buy the new car i would get, and pay the deductible. idealy i would want to total it and have BJ's cover the deductible and difference in price (what i got from my insurance vs. what i payed for it), so give me $3500 including the deductible, but i dont know how realistic that is. i dont know if ide be able to afford my car payment doubling. my dad is really trying to not get it totaled. so i still need to figure out from my insurance company if its a non-chargeable event and all that shit, i need to get another estimate or 2, and i need to find out how much help im gonna get from BJ's. god damn this sucks! also, is there anyway for me to get the money out of the mods i have on the car, theres like close to 3000 worth on it and i dont want to lose all that money. thanx guys!

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
BJ's is my work BTW, and for those that didnt read my other thread about me crashing it, i was making a delivery for my work when the accident happened. we are waiting to hear back from the corporate office to see whether they are gonna cover me or not.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Not neccesarily. Wait until the insurance company reviews it and prices out the value of the car. They have a "focked up" formula and its almost ALWAYS different than a real world value like kbb or edmunds.com's.

They might still opt to fix the car, regardless. It seems that insurance companies are reluctant to just hand over the cash these days. My father was rear-ended 2 years ago in his 92 Astro van with 186K on it. Caused $3800 worth of damage. His insurance company said the van was worth $3500 (with all the rock chips, 186K, and missing paint). They opted to repair the damn thing. Would not just give over the check and total it :rollseyes .

SLOWDOHC just had a similar situation with his car, I can't recall how much the damage was but I believe it was 2-3K more than the car was "worth".

Just keep us posted, but I doubt you'll just get them to total the car out. They'll explore all options before handing over your cash :cuss:

CY98Cobra

Established Member
usually they determine the value of the car based on what similar cars are selling for in your area. good luck with everything man.

gmaine

Established Member
Keep up the heat on the insurance company. Our Windstar had $10,000 damage, value was $14,000 and my wife refused to have the car fixed. After a week, State Farm ponied up the $14,000 and we are now driving a new Freestar with a $6,000 rebate. Its probably better to total that baby out.

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
thanx for the advice guys. its good to hear that they go by market value instead of book value, becsue in my are the cars are selling for $1000-3000 over book value. i want to total it, im gonne let my dad know how i feel today and see what he says, but we are gonna have to wait for the insurance company to let us know if this is our free-be or not. idealy for me i want to total the car, get the new car that have lined up, and have my company pay the difference.

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
kingstang50 said:
whenever you get the final word
make sure you let us know what you plan on getting next.
hehehe, thats a secret. i alreday have a car lined up. but be assured i will share what it is when i get it, if i do.

Users who are viewing this thread