Help Me Stop The Swirlies!

black03SVT

Established Member
How do I keep my Black Cobra from getting the infamous black swirl marks?

Last edited:

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
what do you know mr yellow and silver cobra?! :)

inquiring black cars would love to know. Will zaino cure our swirlies?

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
hehe,,,,,ya I used to own a 95GT which was black and Zaino was about the only thing that got all the swirls completely removed. I used it on my silver cobra and it worked wonders. I have yet to use it on yellow but once I re-up I will give it a shot.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
what COBRyan said:thumbsup:

Listen young grasscopper and profit.:-D

Sorry man, couldn't resist the play on words.
postban needs a slap:punch:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by black03SVT
How do I keep my Black Cobra from getting the infamous black swirl marks?

Gabe

Don't polish it when it's dirty. Seriously.

I haven't used Zaino's. I personally prefer Meguiars as it's more readily available and cheaper, and produces incredible results anyway.

I always use an old t-shirt for polish, using 3M Finesse-It. Another T-shirt for applying the wax, and a third for polishing the wax off. Never wash, polish, or wax a black vehicle in the sun or when the paint surface is hot. Washing it when this is true will cause streaking, and polishing or waxing will cause the polish or wax to harden quickly into abrasive particulate which causes scratches.

This always gave me great results with black paint. Repeat once a month for the best results...the Finesse-It will not reduce your paint thickness unless it has oxidization since it's a chemical strip.

I have yet to try the clay bar, but others have used it to great effect. I might try it instead of the Finesse-It next time, as Finesse-It is around $25 a bottle now.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
There's only one way. Never move anything in a circle :nono: on your paint. Don't wash in circles, and despite what you saw in lame 80's movies:p, don't wax it in a circle. Always go in a stright line. My truck is dark green and over two years old with zero swirl marks. Read Zaino's site, they'll tell you the same thing. Their Z5 will remove any light swirls you may already have. It won't fix a car that has lots of swirl marks though..

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
Originally posted by postban
what COBRyan said:thumbsup:

Listen young grasscopper and profit.:-D

Sorry man, couldn't resist the play on words.
postban needs a slap:punch:

hahaha.. still laughing by end of the post.. ahhaha "postban needs a slap" hahah.. ahhh *sigh*.. hahah and listen I will. Zaino it is.

woah woah just read the no circle post.. Damn 80s movies.. I must stop now.. I always thought the 80s sucked. Stupid karate kid..

Last edited:

EasyMoney

Established Member
Another good tip is to use baby diapers to put wax on or to take it off i usually end up using about 3 to take the wax off. Great for washing also they are so soft. No swirl marks on my Red cobra or my Black volvo:beer: :beer: :thumbsup:

riplightning

Established Member
I had a black 95 corvette and used maguires glaze polish. It worked very well, made the paint look deep like black liquid and it took the swirl marks out. If I remember right, you apply it before you wax to the freshly washed paint.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by trex
Another good tip is to use baby diapers to put wax on or to take it off i usually end up using about 3 to take the wax off. Great for washing also they are so soft. No swirl marks on my Red cobra or my Black volvo:beer: :beer: :thumbsup:

Are you serious?:lol: Hmmm:shrug:

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by tommylightning
I know how to get it so they won't be there, but no one would ever believe or want to believe me.

I believe the diapers thing.

So whats your secret?:beer:

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by i8u

I believe the diapers thing.

So whats your secret?:beer:

OK if you all really want to know...here goes...

get some type of smooth cloth (diaper works) but not a smooth porous cloth, a clean surface, and a bottle of either Nu Finish or Finish 2001. Spread whichever evenly until it works itself in over the whole car. When it dries to a haze, wipe it off with a dry cloth. Repeat process 1 week later. Then another coat every month. It takes about 20-30 minutes total depending how fast you work it in. Sorry Zaino worshipers, I've tried them all. I used this stuff when I detailed cars and they both work great!! These 2 polishes contain polymers and silicones. It has zero abrasives in it too. There is only 1 thing that I can find that works better and that is the paint sealant (teflon) that we have here for the weather protection package we sell here. But that requires a buffer and the heat it builds up as you spin it on. Nu Finish and Finish 2001 leave your car smooth and slippery. Your car will attract less dust too because it creates a resistant charge on the surface. I dare one of you guys to try it and post it. They cost about $4 for a bottle, and 1 bottle will do you car at least 10 times. I dare you to come over to the dark side.:thumbsup:

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Say no to silicones and "Teflons"!

I am really skittish about putting anything on the paint which would make it difficult for the body man (i.e., ME) if it came time for a panel respray or touch up. Silicones, especially on panels around the wheels (where they are hit by Armor All etc) are the WORST. I always have problems with fisheye when any of those types of products have been used, even after applying a liberal amount of Ditzler DX330 $hit remover. Some stuff is just nearly impossible to cut, and silicones are one of them.

Read the bottle on most Meguiars...it says its OK to paint over. That's all I needed to convince me...

But of course, do whatever turns you on...:D

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
The more steps you = another thin layer of clearcoat gone. Sorry guys...it's all hype and I'll take anyone on at any time. 2 cars same color same condition ahh how about just 2 cars. I get one and the other guy gets the other one.

Just in case you were wondering...these are all Finish 2001 jobs.
2003CobraFr.jpg

2003CobraDrSdFr.jpg

99Cobra9i.jpg

GAWoodsFr.jpg

WTLDrSdFrWoods.jpg

quick job here.
YelTBDrSdWodds.jpg

85MustWoodsDrSdTopDown2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread