Help me pick my new rear tires

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
Background info: car is not a daily driver, maybe 1000 miles a year (weekends and sunny days only)
Track visits are about once a month or less (shit tracks with little to no prep)
Street pulls are "often"
700HP/650TQ
6 speed, IRS w/ FTBR bushings and stock springs/shocks, stock rear gears

Wheels: BS street lites 17"x11"

Tire options:
A: Nitto NT-05R 315/35/17
B: BFG drag radial 315/35/17
C: Micket Thompson Street Radial II 315/35/17
D: Toyo R888 315/35/17
E: M&H drag radial 325/45/17
F: Hoosier DOT drag radial 315/35/17

mhinchley

Established Member
I think I am going to go with Nitto for the street. Seems like the best all around tire maybe. I have Hoosier Drags on identical rims for the strip, but side wall is very thin & no tread pattern what-so-ever for rain (just 2 grooves) if ever caught in it, so just too dangerous for the public road imo. I hear that driving them on the road ruins their effectiveness at the strip anyway. That is my .02. Nitto has to be a huge improvement from the Sumitomo High Performance HTR Z that I have now. The Toyo Proxes R888 are in the running with me though too. Tough choice. I just talked myself into watching the other responses that you come up with.

Last edited:

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
Rain and water are of no concern to me what-so-ever. We get on average 300 days of sunshine here in West Texas.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Hoosiers if you want to really grab, Mickeys if you want to grab but have more tire life. You will be lucky to get more than 6k out of them.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Hoosiers if you want to really grab, Mickeys if you want to grab but have more tire life. You will be lucky to get more than 6k out of them.

6 years out of a set of tires sounds good to me.

OP i've been running the r888's on my playtoy for a few years. They hook my port/pulley car on the street, look mean, and actually handle that pop up rain storm really well.

With that said they will be replaced with mickey thompsons when they do wear out (another 3 or 4 years).

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Toyo Proxes TQ 315/35/17!

Toyo Proxes TQ Tires 172030 P315/35R17 LL B/TL 0 B B

They run wide for their size, look great, and are supposed to last comparably to nittos. I'm not sure if anyone of your power level has had them yet or not to post any reviews. Since I'm about half your power level I can't really give you much insight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread