Help me pick a digital camera

Stangette03

JC's Jules
Established Member
I tried to do a search before I posted this, but nothing I found was really relevant.

So please help me pick one. I don't care much about the video aspect, but I do love the image stabilizer feature (probably will take a lot of night pictures), which all have but the T7.

Konica Minolta Dimage X1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T7
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T9

Thanks.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
I don't know much about the cameras you have listed there, but I have the Canon PowerShot S2 IS and it is a very good camera; most critics will agree as well. To be honest, Canon and Sony dominate the market when it comes to digital cameras.

Last edited:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Which camera does Gene have? His pictures always seem to take great pictures day and night.

Stangette03

JC's Jules
Established Member
Mike K said:
Which camera does Gene have? His pictures always seem to take great pictures day and night.
Not sure... I'll ask. But I'm looking to purchase one of the compact ones - I don't think his camera is under an inch thick.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Ok, so out of the ones you picked i would have to go witht he Sony T9 hands down, but i didnt look at prices. Being that the T7 doesnt have IS i left it out of the comparison.

The T9 has a slightly better optical zoom then the other two and even though i dont like digital zoom it does have a higher digital zoom then the other two.

The T9 has a better (both higher and lower) ISO range - up to ISO 640 which will help with the night photography.

The T9 looks like it has the better shutter speed range. The other two can only have the shutter open for up to 1 sec. and have a low ISO = terrible night shots. The Sony can go up to 30 sec AND has a better ISO range, so as long as you have something sturdy to set it on (dont shoot freehand) then the pictures should come out better and clearer.

I dont know apperature readings all that well so i cant break down which one is better or worse, maybe somebody else can hop in here and explain that.

-Mike
ps-i hope all my info is right ;-)

hoamskilet

Established Member
Go with Canon. You won't be disappointed. But if you're set on one of those four, I'd go with one of the sony's

Stangette03

JC's Jules
Established Member
hoamskilet said:
Go with Canon. You won't be disappointed. But if you're set on one of those four, I'd go with one of the sony's
I was looking at the SD550 - but it's the bigger than the four that I listed... I know it's a good camera though.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
I've got a Kodak Easy Share and I'm happy with it. It just doesn't zoom that much but for general pic taking it's great

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
its not any of the ones you mention but heres the one i have...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=139182&WT.mc_n=66&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=DEALTIME&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=66

very nice camera imo. had it since christmas and i love it. it had almost every feature u can think of. check it out. also if u want search my threads i have taken pics of my car with this camera and posted them on here. hope this helps...

vipergts281

Established Member
Michelle, got your e-mail.

I have a Sony Cybershot 5.0 DSC-V1. I bought it about two years ago and it was right around $400. And yes, it isn't a compact one that you can slip in your pocket.

I specifically bought this camera so I could take good night time shots. I've never been disappointed with it.

Btw Michelle, in order to capture quality night time photos, you will need a tripod. If you do not use a tripod, the picture will be blurry.

Here are some of my pics.........

I-95.jpg

CobraonSideofRoad1.bmp

CobraandSkyline.jpg

SJsatNight.jpg

CruiseShipDocked.jpg

CobraatNight1.jpg

Skyline.jpg

LookingatI-95andPHLParking.jpg

OnRoute82.jpg

CobraInFrontofArtMuseum.jpg

CobraBehindPHL.jpg

PennsLanding.jpg

PhillyAirport.jpg

I-95inRidleyPark.jpg

PhillySky.jpg

TopFloorofGarage.jpg

PHLatNight.jpg

PlaneLanding.jpg

ToweratPHL.jpg

Treeandrailing.jpg

ViewFromArtMuseum.jpg

CitizensBankPark.jpg

ArtMuseumandSkyline.jpg

ArtMuseum.jpg

I think that is enough. :D

Last edited:

SVT04

Established Member
I just bought a Canon SD 550 with a 2 1/2" screen. It is 7.1 MP and an amazing camera. I was told (not by a salesman ,but by a fellow who is into photo stuff as a hobby and profession too) that the Canon has one of the best micro processors on the market.It is one of the faster ones ,less than 2 seconds to process a picture. It is a very nice package. :burnout:

1Day-ACobra

I'm workin on it
Established Member
T9 and forget about it. I have an S2 IS also but it is clunky as hell due to the powerful zoom. Sounds like you're not interested in that kind of thing. Maybe look into one of the Canon SD cameras also. I'm actually getting ready to sell my S2 IS and pay a little on top to get a canon SLR. Can't wait!

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
SVT04 said:
I just bought a Canon SD 550 with a 2 1/2" screen. It is 7.1 MP and an amazing camera. I was told (not by a salesman ,but by a fellow who is into photo stuff as a hobby and profession too) that the Canon has one of the best micro processors on the market.It is one of the faster ones ,less than 2 seconds to process a picture. It is a very nice package. :burnout:

+1 to that. I just got one as well and it is great for taking general pictures and doesn't break the bank.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I have a HP M417 which I've been pleased with...for a fairly affordable camera. Its got a decent sized screen, 5.2 mg pics, 3x optical, 7x digital and is small and lightweight. Plus, I've found that the HP software is very easy to operate. Its not got a huge optical lense, but it'll take some good print quality photos. I think the regular price is like $179.99 and its a popular sale camera.

Stangette03

JC's Jules
Established Member
Thanks for the help everyone. I read good reviews about the SD-550, but it's a little bigger than I wanted... that's why I narrowed it down to only those four - and I included the T7 (even though it doesn't have the "anti shake" feature) because it's the smallest and I read decent reviews on it as well. Most people who bought the T9 previously owned the T7. I know I probably won't be able to notice a huge difference between them... but I am NOT digital camera savvy, so I was looking for opinions :beer: Thanks again!

Blackgeetee

Established Member
I just bought a Canon Powershot A620 that I'm pretty happy with. Takes great pictures, and it's fast. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread