Help me out SVT Focus guys!

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
I have a buddy at work with an 03 ZETEC (I believe that is what it is) Focus, He has done Cold air and Some sort of module you can turn on or off that is supposed to increase horse power by about 25%. Now there is nothing wrong with his car it is very nice, However he feels that he will now be able to out run my 2000 WS6 with the following stuff done:
Moser 12 bolt with 4.10 gears
Mcleod Twin Disk Clutch
LS6 Intake
Magna Flow Cat Back
Mac Mid Lenght headers
LID
I went 12.68 with this setup.
I also have a Cold Fusion 100 Shot kit with no times yet...(but hope to go like 11.70)
I think he thinks I was racing him one day when we left work in the rain and I was just driving normal.
I like the guy fine, but he is a car idiot. I couldn't even explain an underdrive pulley to him, he said all Crank Pullies are underdrive becaus the belt goes under them. :rollseyes
Now Kens03cobra (He just got himself on 03 Focus for his daily drive what a luck bastard) on this site knows me well, been friends for years so he will tell I am not trying to start stuff with anyone here. I am just trying to explain to this guy his car isn't as fast as he thinks it is. He won't listen to anything. Even when I try to help him find stuff to make him go faster.
So if you guys don't mind helping me out could you post your thoughts for me?

Last edited:

HTPerformance

To get in the 11-12 sec range in the 1/4 mile he would have to have done a lot of turbo piping ;-). I am doubtful of this, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you will whip his lily arse.

I say shut him down, then encourage him to get into the modding scene, since he is showing interest. Perhaps he just needs a little hand holding to start?

Is his an SVT Foci or a generic ZX3/5 etc...

He also might be hiding a cheater bottle of NOS and trying to play dumb?

Brian

JAYMONEY

Established Member
You'll smoke him. With your setup you're running a 12.68, there is no way he'll stand a chance. Like HTPerformance said, it would take alot of mods to get that thing in the 11-12 sec range. :burnout:

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
His is the ZX3, Like I said not a bad car at all, but he is just the kind of guy who won't listen. I am trying to get him just to go for a ride in the Trans Am so he can see the differnce. He won't do that either. No NOS either, try explaining how that works when he dosen't uderstand the underdrive pulley concept. Ford wasted a car on him. He should have bought a KIA.
Hell I have even been trying to find some different go fast stuff for it doing my own research and I think the Wife and I are going to trade the Jetta in for a Focus she went and drove one on Tuesday. The local Ford dealer has a nice used 03 4 Door SVT with just shy of 10,000 miles on it for 15,700.
Anyway I showed him a header, exhaust and I have mentioned the turbo option, dosen't want to listen thinks I am wrong. I just hate talking to car idiots. I could show him this (which I will) and he still won't believe. Thanks for the input thus far.

Last edited:

thefrush

Established Member
His car has an intake and a '25% power module?' That would mean he has a module that gives him ~30 hp with the flip of a switch? I think not. His chipped (good for <10hp) and intaked Zetec will be lucky to break out of the 16's.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Should be easy enough, Just follow him out of work, get next to him and :burnout:

I love my SVTF but I have no illusions of it being a straight line rocket.

Now on a road course or autocross, Bring it. :beer:

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
thefrush said:
His car has an intake and a '25% power module?' That would mean he has a module that gives him ~30 hp with the flip of a switch? I think not. His chipped (good for <10hp) and intaked Zetec will be lucky to break out of the 16's.
That is what I tried to tell him, jokingly I said my 04 Silverado went 16.20 at 88.02 mph, (Which it did) I said race the truck if you want. I had him read this forum and encourage him to register to gather more info. He said he had enough on his own! :loser: Thanks guys

pwnt04

Frickin' Ladies Man
Established Member
Go race him and you'll have your answer. There's no need to ask us about it. Go find out for yourself.

thefrush

Established Member
Put a K&N and Flows on the Silverado and run him. I bet you destroy him, especially if you go from a dig.

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
pwnt04 said:
Go race him and you'll have your answer. There's no need to ask us about it. Go find out for yourself.
He won't do it I even offered up the some money. First time I have ever done that.
He says he dosen't want to take my money... :shrug:

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
thefrush said:
Put a K&N and Flows on the Silverado and run him. I bet you destroy him, especially if you go from a dig.
Have the CAI and Magna Flow on the truck, hardly ever drive the damn thing. Not a truck guy, was the wifes idea.

2814v

Established Member
He's just talking trash, he knows his car is slow but he will never admitt it to you. Give him a can of alpo so he can feed that dog, then forget about it.

C.G.

Established Member
From a rolling start my 03 crewcab silverado diesel that's bone stock runs even with my SVTF to about 65 or 70mph. He needs to ride with you. Why not invite him to lunch with you and then punch it one time unexpectedly. Might need to bring him an extra pair of shorts. He may not know cars yet but everyone had to start somewhere. You can be his teacher. :-D

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
I am trying, and you guys have been great! He finally went for a ride today after reading this forum! I did it with the N20, guess it must be scary in the passenger seat. :banana: He was trying to hold on to the T-top handle and said "ok ok that is enough"
So we ordered him exhaust today. It is a good start for him. Now he actually is doing some research and listening to some suggestions.
Thanks again
On a side note. Didn't get the Focus, dealer didn't want to give us more than 5000 for the 02 Jetta GLS TDI W/ 48,000 miles on it. So we will sell it out right and contiue to look.

Last edited:

thefrush

Established Member
LS1Mike said:
He was trying to hold on to the T-top handle and said "ok ok that is enough"

xmasowned.gif

C.G.

Established Member
Darn Mike, if you weren't in Bremerton I might be interested in your TDI. Glad your friend is seeing the light. He must be a good guy or you wouldn't want to help him out and work with him on fixing up his car.

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
he is a great guy! Just very head strong,
YOU DO NOT WANT A JETTA TDI, SATAN AND HITLER HAVE POSSED THEM!!
I can write a list of the problems it has had and the Maintenance sched. if you have um say two years !! :mj:

SVTFanatic

Established Member
Man that was hard to read through all of that.. The whole time I'm thinking "when is this kid going to realize that sometihng with twice the engine is going to be just a bit faster than him." I'm glad he finially saw the light. The "module " he was talking about was probally one of those venom 400 performance control modules. No way a zx-3 is going to keep up with a WS6 .. you'd be hard pressed to find an SVT that could do that task.. I have seen maybe 3 that would be close, but not if you were useing the N2O. Try to keep him from hurting himself when working on his car... the kid sounds dangerous... especially after that under drive pulley line... yeesh.

- Mike

C.G.

Established Member
LS1Mike said:
he is a great guy! Just very head strong,
YOU DO NOT WANT A JETTA TDI, SATAN AND HITLER HAVE POSSED THEM!!
I can write a list of the problems it has had and the Maintenance sched. if you have um say two years !! :mj:

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up. I drove an 06 a few days ago and liked it overall but D A M N it was slow off the line and then spun the front tires when I punched it at about 15mph. Problem is that I'm bored with my SVTF and just want a change. I'm leaning towards a high mpg car for running around while I work towards a C6 Z06 or maybe even an Elise. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread