Help me out PLEASE!

Ok I got some smoked headlights in May and ever since then, its been bad luck with them. First I damaged my passenger side one during install. Then my drivers side started to get condensation in it after I would wash the car. I put some silicone sealer around it and still no luck, still does it. I put ducktape around the sob and it still does it. Can anyone please help me out here, I dont wanna buy a new pair and waste more money. Here is a picture of it....

dscn02953ko.jpg

Last edited:

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
Another area to check is where the actual Bulb socket enters the Headlight housing.. There's typically a rubber seal on the bulb socket and it usually twist locks into the rear of the housing. Sometimes there's a slight amount of warpage or a little plastic bump on the back of the headlight hosing where that seal rests against. My advise is to remove the twist lock bulb and inspect that little opening.. Might have to use a file to get it grind it flat again..

Thanks for the advice, I think that is where my problem is....I think it there is too much clearance in there. I dont know what im going to do, these headlights were expensive and its pissing me off that they are doing this.

mackj66

Established Member
Mine have a small hole in the bottom for air to get in. They are not completely sealed.
soooo, when condensation does get in (which is very rare)...give it a day or so of driving and it should go away.

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
Blk98Cobra said:
Thanks for the advice, I think that is where my problem is....I think it there is too much clearance in there. I dont know what im going to do, these headlights were expensive and its pissing me off that they are doing this.

I had the exact problem with some aftermarket headlights and with that particular problem I fixed it by putting a nice bead of clear silicone around the bulb opening on the headlight housing.. Then twist locked the bulb into place and it fixed it.. Should you ever need to replace the bulb the clear silicone will come off pretty easily and then you just apply a new bead..

B.

mackj66 said:
Mine have a small hole in the bottom for air to get in. They are not completely sealed.
soooo, when condensation does get in (which is very rare)...give it a day or so of driving and it should go away.

Do you have a picture of where you put the hole so I can mimic that if I need to...

COBRASVT

Established Member
Blk98Cobra said:
Do you have a picture of where you put the hole so I can mimic that if I need to...

The hole is not that small...1/4 in diameter with a piece of tape (red usually) over it. Not sure what it was used for, but needs to be sealed with some silicone.

For the bulb, you can put a bead of vaseline around it and that will seal out the water. Silicone works as well, but harder to remove when needed.

mackj66

Established Member
I don't ever take my car in the rain, but when it gets washed, sometimes a little condensation will get in there.
I did not make the hole...they came with a small hole on the underside of the assembly.
I leave it open just for the exact reason that aftermarket assemblies are notorious for being leaky. This way, the condensation dries up in like a day instead of staying on the lens and turning it yellow.

Users who are viewing this thread