help me educate my friend on x pipe install

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
ok, so since my buddy has a garace wich a bunch of tools and such in it, i was going to have him help me with my x pipe install. (now i have tools, but just a carport and its gonna get REAL cold here.)
so i asked him to help and he was like "no way, i heard those things are a bitch." now i havnt heard that they are hard, just the one bolt by the starter i think that is a pain in the ass. i told him i would spray em down with PB Blaster a few times before we do it and he is still thinking it will be a bitch.
so can you guys please clarify how easy (or hard) it is to do this. its a magnaflow o/r x pipe replacing stock.

thanks in advance

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
most aftermarket pipes require either grinding the shoulders off of the drivers side manifold studs, or replacing them with non-shouldered studs from Napa...i just did this last week, and while trying to remove the stock drivers side studs to replace them, snapped off one of them flush with the flange....not fun...ended up having to drill through it and use a bolt...if you do not modify/replace these studs, you will have a very significant leak...other than that, the job is not too bad...even with replacing the studs, had mine not broken off, i could have had it done in a couple hours on jackstands w/ hand tools...

SadisticMystic

Established Member
I've heard that it's not hard at all really as long as you have all the necessary extensions for that starter bolt. Maybe someone else can chime in on what exact extensions are needed for the job.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
SadisticMystic said:
I've heard that it's not hard at all really as long as you have all the necessary extensions for that starter bolt. Maybe someone else can chime in on what exact extensions are needed for the job.

just need a couple long extensions, swivel, and a mid-length 15mm socket...

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
man, if i didn't have to work in an hour i'd offer to come and help! on top of that, i'm trying to get a minor oil leak fixed by tonight before the cold hits. i hate working on my car in the cold. even in with a garage it's very uncomfortable. good luck with everything!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I opened up the holes on the driver side flange with a grinder instead of getting new studs.

01yellercobra

Established Member
quick01snake said:
six of one, half dozen of another...

True. I had the stock pipe off already so making a quick trip to the store wasn't in the cards for me.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Its just a little X-pipe..you can do it. Disconnect your positive battery terminal..trust me. Take our the 2 bolts on either side by the headers and the 2 on either side on the rear and remove. Reinstall the same way. Lessons learned......deep socket and cut a third off of it for the front bolts and use a swivel and extension. Deep socket is too long and short is too short. Can be done in an hour...tops-Shane

Users who are viewing this thread