Help me decide the future of my coupe...

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
To keep it short I have owned my 93 Calypso coupe for about two years now slowly buying interior parts and that’s about it. The car is an original 5.0 auto that at some point was converted over to the T5 that’s in it today. The car overall is kind of a basket case interior wise, and a little rough on the outside as well, but I’ve always wanted this car so when I found it I bought it.

Here’s where I’d like some input from you as fellow enthusiast on which route I should go. I’m going to list my options and my reasoning behind each, and see what you guys would do.

#1. Buy a new GenII coyote from pbh along with a t56 magnum, and everything else associated with that build.
#2. Buy the new 7.3 and wait for the market to catch up with swap parts, and buy everything associated with that swap.
#3. Kind of a wild card here, but I was given a GenII F150 coyote complete engine that the block is cracked. So basically start from scratch on the bottom end, and use the heads/acquire mustang parts to finish it off. I have a friend that works in parts at a Ford dealership so I’ll get a little break on cost of parts.

Goal for the car is basically a cruiser that will be low on ccw’s. No racing since I work sixty two+ hours a week.

Here’s my thoughts behind each of my options, and why I’m having a hard time deciding which route to take.

Option 1. The plus to this one—Everything will be new, and there’s a ton of support in case. The Negative—Probably looking at least 20k or so in parts. (Reminder I still want to do paint/suspension/wheels/A/C.).
Option 2. The plus—Be one of a few that will have the 7.3, and the potential of this engine looks awesome! The negative—Still buying new, but unproven parts for this type of build, and I don’t want an intake sticking out of a factory style hood.
Option 3. The plus—Build it knowing what’s in it. In other words I could possibly come out saving a few dollars by piecing the coyote I have back together. The negative—The put together engine gremlins that seem to haunt anyone with good intentions.

And I guess I’ll throw this in there also- Why not stick with the current 5.0 T5 you have and build to your liking? Well that one is tempting, but I have a close friend that is doing just that, and with what he has spent on his 331 “budget build” he could have gone any of the three routes I listed above. By budget I mean no forged internals, and using his stock T5 still. Or just buy a used coyote? I’d honestly rather spend a little more by either buying new or building what I have.

In conclusion I just wanna say thanks for any input, and hopefully some of you have run this through your head a thousand times like I have, and decided on or built this type of setup. List your pros and cons...

32icon321

Established Member
I may be a bad source because I just recently sold my coupe lol. But I was in the same boat as you for years. My thoughts were this:

- Basically any way I cut it I was expecting to spend about 20-25k between engine, engine management, and suspension (which is why I ultimately sold the car). At that price point I would rather put that money towards something else
- If you’re not going to race the car (this was me also) then I don’t see the benefits of a built motor. The gen II engines are built well enough for most people’s wants/needs. And the build “gremlins” you mentioned. I know there are a ton of great builders out there, but If something went wrong I don’t ever want to play the blame game with anyone. Especially when you’re talking 5-10k+ $$$$.
-I liked the idea of a stock sealed motor because if something did go horribly wrong, they are plentiful. Short/long blocks can be had readily for 3-5k. Not to mention the stock reliability.
-The 7.3 will be a waiting game. The coyote swap is proven. I’m not sure what advantages are to be gained going this route (if it will be a cruiser not a race car). The end goal can be accomplished quicker, cheaper (today), and with less head scratching with a coyote.
-I also considered staying push rod and going with a dart block, but for the same money you can go with a coyote. I steered away from this because of the concerns/worry I explained above. You can’t just go pick up another built motor from a junkyard or eBay. I would just be so sick losing a 10k motor.

Obviously there are gobs of people running built motors without issues, but for me nothing beats the simplicity and availability of a OEM piece for a street cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
I understand completely about having that money to put somewhere else. I plan on doing most of the body work myself except for final paint which I’ll have a very skilled friend do at a friends price point. The car isn’t going anywhere so I have time to see what comes out for the 7.3, and I think I’m going to do my due diligence and price what it would cost to put back together the engine I have. I know people have info on pricing a coyote swap like foxcast media and others, but I know in the end it’s a money game and you gotta pay to play. It’s one of those if I don’t do it now or near future I never will.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Coyote swap it Option 3. Find another good to go long block and sort out the bugs and dump the T-5 and go T-56.

Users who are viewing this thread