Help me choose the next mod.

KCRN12

Established Member
I've got $300 to spend, and I've already decided its going to be suspension. I'm just not sure exactly what, yet. The 2 things I'm currently debating between are sway bars or a bump steer kit. Right now I've got an irs, coil overs all around, all subframe and diff mount bushings for the IRS, and a strut tower brace. The goal is for the car to eventually be a road course car, but that won't be for several years. So what do y'all recommend as far as the next step in getting the suspension set up? Either of those 2 options, or something else? And please keep in mind the $300 budget.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Do you have actual subframe connectors??

I'm assuming you have Caster Camber plates due to Coilovers, if not get them.

Do you have a actual custom alignment with the car corner weighted? Or did you just buy Coilovers to slam it?

I vote Subframe connectors first if you dont' have them, next would be a bumpsteer kit and then a real alignment and corner weighting the car.

KCRN12

Established Member
Do you have actual subframe connectors??

I'm assuming you have Caster Camber plates due to Coilovers, if not get them.

Do you have a actual custom alignment with the car corner weighted? Or did you just buy Coilovers to slam it?

I vote Subframe connectors first if you dont' have them, next would be a bumpsteer kit and then a real alignment and corner weighting the car.

I don't have subframe connectors, an hadn't planned on getting them. The logic behind that is #1, I don't have the ground clearance to run subframe connectors on the street. I already scrape my pipes on stuff fairly regularly, so the last thing I need to do is start hitting subframe parts. Also, once the car is closer to actually being ready for the road course, a full cage will be going in. From what I understand, that eliminates the need for the subframe connectors? But even if not, then at that point, I'd do through floor connectors.

I do have cc plates.

I got the coil overs as an upgrade from the standard lowering spring setup, and because I'll need the ability to install a k-member, and just have generally more adjustability, later. When I installed them, I set them at the same ride height I had before, with the H&R super sport springs. Which winds up putting the exhaust about an inch and a half to 2 inches off the ground. The down tubes on the SLP off road x, I have, are a good bit longer than the ones on the stock midpipe. That will be fixed eventually, but nothing i can do about it right now.

I haven't gotten a custom alignment, and to be quite honest, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by corner weighted. I've just recently started researching and learning more about suspension setup. So I can either look that up on my own, or you can explain it, if you feel like it.

What's your opinion on upgraded sway bars? Worth the money, or not? Or does it just depend on what else is done to the car?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Get subframe connectors they don't drag.. I can guarentee your car is no where near as low as mine lol.. My subframes never ever scrape.. I have MM FLSFC too. Get those over anything else that you've listed.

Sway bars are pointless at this point in the game.. They are the last piece of a suspension setup to fine tune it you can say.

Corner weighting is where they put your car on scales.. A scale under each tire.. and they do fine adjustments to your Coilovers to get the best weight distribution and cross weight as possible..

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Get subframe connectors they don't drag.. I can guarentee your car is no where near as low as mine lol.. My subframes never ever scrape.. I have MM FLSFC too. Get those over anything else that you've listed.

Sway bars are pointless at this point in the game.. They are the last piece of a suspension setup to fine tune it you can say.

Corner weighting is where they put your car on scales.. A scale under each tire.. and they do fine adjustments to your Coilovers to get the best weight distribution and cross weight as possible..

X2 no drag on subframes.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

redrocket16

Established Member
Subframes without a question. Feels like a whole new car and you will not drag them. You will drag the H/X pipe long before the subframes.

stangbanger856

Established Member
Yes on the sub frames. If you insist on not doing them I would do a tubular front A arm, less weight and better bushings and also the ability to adjust them.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
subframes, if they drag after install it means the entire undercarriage of your car is dragging and then you have a whole different issue. Your exhaust will be your lowest point.

scubby snack

Established Member
i dont know if youve heard but i hear subframes are good, jk. but really welded in subframe connectors are a must and really tighten up the feel. if you are laying subframe, you are on air ride

KCRN12

Established Member
Well I guess I need to look into some subframe connectors, lol. I was just concerned because the exhaust drags on everything, and right now there's only 2.25" difference between the subframe and exhaust height (subframe sits at 5.5" and the lowest point of the exhaust is 3.25"). Once I add 1.5" of sfc, I'll only have a 3/4" difference. I was just concerned that wouldn't be enough. But I guess worst case scenario, I could just raise the spring perches a little.

Users who are viewing this thread