Help me choose a suspension drop

junioRace

Established Member
I'm wanting to drop my '02 a bit, maybe like a 1/2 or 1/3. The most important thing to me is to maintain good ride characteristics and handling. I guess I would be looking at kits similiar to the FRPP or maybe an Eibach kit. Any other recommendations would be well received. I don't want to invest in a TVS kit or anything else in that realm. (Only so much money right now to spend on the truck.) If you would post up a pic of your truck after the drop would be nice too.

I am going to stay with the 18" wheels, and probably be adding some trac bars. Thanks.

Darksnake98

Established Member
I went with Hotchkis springs (1.5" drop) and Belltech shackles 2" ddrop and it worked for me....nice smooth ride and its not to low but lower than stock...(not on my computer post pics later)

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
I have FRPP front springs and JLP 3 inch shackles in the rear. The ride is just a tad stiffer than stock.

DSC01551.gif

BMWBig6

Established Member
This was my truck when it had the FRPP drop. It was cheap and didn't affect the ride quality much, but it didn't satisfy me completely. I wish I had just gone straight to the Roush and saved the money.

sonic-057.jpg

RBakerian

IWHINE
Established Member
]sVt[Po|son said:
Get springs and JLP 3"-4" shackels. DonT get hangers...I did and it was a bitch to put them on lol

+1, hangers were a complete nightmare for me. Rides good though.

junioRace

Established Member
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

IneritaSVT, you bring up an interesting point about the longer shackles allowing more lateral movement of the axle. Your truck looks GREAT, but I don't want to go with that much of a drop. Illinois roads + 3/5 drop = BAD.

BMWBig6, that FRPP kit just didn't do it on your truck, but then I realized you have an '03 which sits taller in the rear than my '02.

ttuetec

Established Member
I did the Belltech shackles in the rear, but it rides a little rough on some big bumps. Need to get the front a little lower now.

13 Z

Spandex is a right
Established Member
We should sticky a thread that has nothing but pictures of dropped trucks with the suspensions listed. That way new members (like myself) can "shop" for the look they want.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
]sVt[Po|son said:
Get springs and JLP 3"-4" shackels. DonT get hangers...I did and it was a bitch to put them on lol
I wouldn't rule them out. That's what I did to my 04' this week.
I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance to take some.
Hangers are a lot of work, but well worth the trouble. :rolling:
You won't get anywhere near the same drop with just 4" shackles only.
Also, Belltech 2" drop spindles are the best way to go up front.
Unless you like riding on a buckboard, switching springs to get it lower is a sure way to hurt the ride quality. :nonono:

Last edited:

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
I just bought the FRPP lowering kit, I am just waiting for a nice day to get it installed, I think that I am going to get the look I want, and you can't beat the price.:thumbsup:

nielsio

Luving the sun here!
Established Member
13 Z said:
We should sticky a thread that has nothing but pictures of dropped trucks with the suspensions listed. That way new members (like myself) can "shop" for the look they want.

Amen on this one!

BMWBig6

Established Member
junioRace said:
BMWBig6, that FRPP kit just didn't do it on your truck, but then I realized you have an '03 which sits taller in the rear than my '02.

Yeah, those rear leaf springs were noticeably taller than my 2001.

POP TOP said:
BMWBig6 your truck looks great. And that mod list is awesome!

Thanks! :rolling:

MMCustomworks

Gauge Pod Whore
Established Member
IneritaSVT, you will find your truck is bottoming out against your rear swaybar. I have the WC c-ntoch and my rear swaybar is the only thing thats hitting the frame right now.

Users who are viewing this thread