help me choose a new laptop.

NA97GT

Established Member
I need a laptop for school next semester and I need to make a decision soon. I have a dell desktop so Ive been looking at the dell laptops. I need this new computer to last at least 2 years, and be realatively small and light. Id like a lighted keyboard if possible, and have good battery life( at least 4 hours). Ive never had a latop so any suggestions would help alot.

Here is a dell studio14z that ive bee looking at. It is on sale for 699 because of a sale their running till tomorrow. The only drawback is there is no cd drive built in.
What dop you think, or suggest I get?
Studio 14z

System Color:
Black Chainlink BLKWLAN 1 [313-7572] 10

Processors:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)

STUDIO 14z:
Studio 14z Notebook

Operating System:
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit

Office Productivity Software:
Microsoft® Works 9

Hardware Support Services:
2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis

LCD Panel:
14.0” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera/Facial Recognition SW C720L 1 [320-7907][421-0257][421-0258] 5

Memory:
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz 3GB

Hard Drive:
Size: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM) 320GB

Video Card:
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9400M G NV9400

Wireless Networking Cards:
Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card DW1397 1

Mobile Broadband:
No Internal Mobro Selected NOWAN

BATTERY:
56 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell) 6BAT

Sound:
Soundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio - Software Enabled SBXFI

Keyboard:
Back-lit Keyboard BCLKEY 1

Adobe Reader:
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0

Processor Branding:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor

Last edited:

silverstang23

Established Member
MacBook is a great lap top to carry to class. Thats what i have and love it. The pro offers a lighted key board but significantly more expensive.

ff500

Established Member
I have a dell xps m1530 laptop I love it, also have the dell inspiron 1505 laptop which I use for my business both have been great.
Check out sites like couponmountain for dell coupons, I was able to get a 30% off couon for my xps which I built the way I wanted it.

NA97GT

Established Member
thanks for the replys. My dad is going to pay for it as a birthday/ christmas present, so cost is a factor. We've already decided that a $999 macbook is too much. so I wanna see what I get get in the 6-700 range ideally, but if a little more makes a big difference Im open to it.

CodyG WIN-TEAM

NA97GT-

There’s a new application called Laptop Scout (Windows Laptop Scout) that you might find useful.

It’s designed for folks like yourself who know what they want to use a new laptop for and know what their budget is, and just want to see what is available out there for them.

You go to the site, enter your budget and what you want to use the laptop for, and it’ll give you a list of some potential matches. It lets you do some side-by-side comparisons as well, so you can make sure you get the most for your cash. There are quite a few sub-$700 systems there that are still decent quality systems, so you might want to check it out. Let me know if it is helpful, or if you've got questions about it, I'll be glad to help.

Cheers,
Cody
Windows Outreach Team

LSUstang05

Established Member
MacBook is a great lap top to carry to class. Thats what i have and love it. The pro offers a lighted key board but significantly more expensive.

Not really. Macbook starts at $950 with education discount and the MacBook Pro starts at 1099 with education discount. The Pro has the lighted keyboard, LED display, DDR3 RAM, faster processor and the aluminum unibody. WELL worth the $150 dollar difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread