Help me build the best street/strip 8.8

supraman1990

Established Member
Well, the rear end in my 2014 has the dreaded gear whine on accel and I'm thinking the backlash is way high on it as well judging by how much the driveshaft will rotate in it with the car in gear. So, I figured while I was addressing all that I might as well just build the thing instead of letting the dealer fix it under warranty for me. My question to you guys is, what is the best route to go? I came from the terminator world and a fully built IRS, so building the solid axle is going to be a new adventure for me. The car is mostly a street car, but I do have fun at the local drag strip when time permits. I don't think I want to go crazy and go the 9" end route unless you guys see it as providing a huge benefit, and whatever I do I want to retain ABS.
1. 3.55 or 3.73 gear? I have plans of NT05R's in the near future but am wondering if 3.73 would be even too much for them on the street in 2nd.
2. What diff? I have a PP/TP car so it does have the torsen in it but I am not against ordering another diff such as a true-trac or even a wavetrac if I can get some more spline count for a beefier axle.
3. What axles? As I said I will be launching the car at the track on sticky tires sometimes, so I want to make sure everything will live. I'm not against having to change the diff to go up in spline count.

A.M.R

Established Member
Don't think that will solve anything. The whine will come back after a few trips down the drag strip

raustin0017

Established Member
I guess my point is....a stock GT500 should not have any 'whine' coming from anywhere minus the supercharger or the driver. If it were mine it would be repaired under the warrantee.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I've already made the same post, do a search.
Mine was dropped off today just waiting on a return call from Moser but they appear to be the only ones with a 9" end/axle with ABS ring ready to go.
Cliff notes mine will be welded braced girdled with 9" ends 33 spline axles/tru trac and 4.10s
I loved my 4.10/315 NT05R combo and we've had many gear threads, I'm sticking with 4.10s.
I'll update my thread when I have more details tomorrow. Good luck
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you race it or are just unlucky, the stock rear will likely start to whine with sticky tires. Just the nature of the beast when you have 700ftlbs 4000# and a stick.
Mine started whining at 600 miles after on strip outing on stock junk rubber.
Then I started whining and Ford fixed it with 4.10s, came back within a few hundred miles.
I didn't even bother with ford this time as the OP is also doing, if you plan to drag it best to just built it right.
I will prob have $2k in a rear that is the best 8.8 you can do for the street and be more than OK with it.
-J

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I would let the dealer rebuild your stock diff. At least at that point you can sell it or pull it and replace with your built rear.

Tom

Derek5774

Established Member
Moser or strange axles and a true trac diff

I have had moser axles and a true trac diff for a while now
With no issues

stutter

eat me
Established Member
For those of you that have the moser axles with 9in ends, do you have part numbers? Ill take part numbers on truetrac, axles. Im doing those as soon as I can!! I just got 13-6, 3.73's, Spec SS, ARH headers, and Lund tune....Ill be over 740rwhp hopefully!! So, lol good bye torsion!!!!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I just ordered them from Moser today, I'll get you some part numbers when I get the invoice when it ships tomorrow.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread