Help me build something?

Ken03KBGTvert

Established Member
2012-12-03193616.gif

This was my first attempt, and I failed, so the searching I did on the intrawebs last night was wrong or I read it wrong, something, anyway...

I'm building a base for something. I need it the shape above, it will be four layers of what you see, one on top of the other. I need to be able to put something INSIDE IT that is round with a 16 3/8" diameter. So, a circle that is 16 3/8" across needs to fit INSIDE what you see above.

I need to know the length of the inside edge of each of the five sides and what angle to cut each one at.

I originally thought I needed each side to be 9.66" and each angle to be cut at 72*, that's not right tho. The one pictured above is too small and the angles are wrong.

Any help?

Thanks
:beer:
Ken

SVTurbo 98

E85 addict
Established Member
The corner of a pentagon totals 108* so half of that is 54*...that should be your angle... I came up with 11 15/16" short to short of your angles if everything was perfect. I don't really know what you're doing but you might want to go 12" or bigger to give yourself some breathing room. This is the calculator I used btw...Pentagon Measurement Calculator

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Workshopaddict.com if you dont get the answer you are looking for here...

Good luck!

Ken03KBGTvert

Established Member
The corner of a pentagon totals 108* so half of that is 54*...that should be your angle... I came up with 11 15/16" short to short of your angles if everything was perfect. I don't really know what you're doing but you might want to go 12" or bigger to give yourself some breathing room. This is the calculator I used btw...Pentagon Measurement Calculator

LOL I actually found a site just like that late last night after not getting a 100% sure answer on here. I came up with the same numbers. I wish I had found it the night before I hacked up a piece of lumber. Thanks tho, I'll give it another try tomorrow if time allows.

Users who are viewing this thread