Help me build my rearend.....

fubu795

Banned
Well I need to start ordering parts for my 94 GT stroker. The car is getting prepped over winter and hopefully ready by March for some mid-low 10 sec runs. I need to get my rearend done. Want to keep the 8.8 but beef it up. With n02, the car should be in excess of 550-600 HP at the wheels. What all parts are the best? What should I buy? Money isnt my biggest concern, I'd rather do it right the first time then do it twice. Also where is the cheapest price available, what websites?

Just ordered a new trainy, aluminum driveshaft is already on there.

Thanks Guys!

ChrisWoodard

Living for the King
Established Member
I will start by saying that stronger is not always better. You could put a $3500 bulletproof 9" in it and never worry about breaking it but it is heavier and causes more drag. The 8.8 is more than ample down into the 9's so you should be fine. There really aren't that many options on the 8.8. I would definitely upgrade to 31 spline Moser axles with a 31 spline carrier like an Auburn Pro. Also don't skimp on the C-clip eliminators. Buy good ones so that you don't replace them every year. I ran this combo in my N/A 10 second daily driver for almost 2 years w/o any problems.

Redtop1980

Cobra Freak
Established Member
I have a question to go with this one. I was lead to beleive that c-clip eliminators aren't suitable for street use. Why is that?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I don't have anywhere near 500 hp but my Ford racing 31 spline diff., 31 spline moser axles and trick flow diff. girdle work fine.

ChrisWoodard

Living for the King
Established Member
I personally can't stand C-clip eliminators. If you use a little silicone when installing them they usually won't leak. The problem is that NHRA santioned tracks DO like them. So if you plan on running in the 11s or faster then you are at risk of getting the boot... typically not but it is the rules.

As far a street driving they are far superior to stock C-clips with regards to latteral wheel travel... b/c there isn't any. The problem is that they provide a little more resistance than a typical tapered roller bearing and they just don't seem to last very long. I don't know if inferior bearing are used or what. Also, they really stink when you want to remove the pressfit ring that holds them on.

Users who are viewing this thread