Help me build my cobra

dan1982

Established Member
Ok, I'll be the odd man out here...Could I suggest enjoying and familiarizing yourself with the car for a while before putting it on the edge with boost? I say this because A) they can be plenty of fun and reliable with simple bolt on parts B) you seem very new to all this, and C) 8k is not much of a budget AND safety net if things should go sideways. New-used cars often need some TLC in areas too. Something also to consider. Just my opinion, not meaning to be a downer. A low mile, stock sn95 Cobra is a sweet car that many people would love to have. Think hard, and then think hard some more before doing irrevocable mods. There, I'll stop lecturing. Lol. Post some pics if you get a chance!
i agree... that budget scares me. For the OP... just go ahead and inquire how much its gonna cost if/when u hurt that motor..... things happen. Just make sure u have a backup plan here. If youre young and this is a reach.. you will end up using the credit card.

Adower

Established Member
8K and you MIGHT be able to do it if you're doing the work all alone. Paying a shop to do it, no way in hell. If you find a shop that will do it for 8k, RUN.

Majin_might

Ok, I'll be the odd man out here...Could I suggest enjoying and familiarizing yourself with the car for a while before putting it on the edge with boost? I say this because A) they can be plenty of fun and reliable with simple bolt on parts B) you seem very new to all this, and C) 8k is not much of a budget AND safety net if things should go sideways. New-used cars often need some TLC in areas too. Something also to consider. Just my opinion, not meaning to be a downer. A low mile, stock sn95 Cobra is a sweet car that many people would love to have. Think hard, and then think hard some more before doing irrevocable mods. There, I'll stop lecturing. Lol. Post some pics if you get a chance!
After looking it over & researching more about power adders. I came to tye conclusion that I am going to do as you advised and just hold on any boost. The plan is to install 4:10 gears, short throw shifter, new springs/ struts and other suspension components, long tube headers with x pipe mid pipe & exhaust. I'm going to keep saving more $$ to boost it correctly in tye next year or two. Take my budget from 8k to around 15k.

Is there any other recommendations?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230505_222822_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230505_222822_Facebook.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20230505_222808_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230505_222808_Facebook.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 53

MG0h3

Established Member
You'll want at least 4.10s for n/a or boost on your car. The 96-98 NEED them.That would be a foundational mod to do before anything else imo. The car just won't get up without them.

Glad I went back and read the whole thread and saw this.

I was going to say that 4.10s are too low with boost in the future.

Is it the transmission is geared higher in low gears vs a T56?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Op I’d def take a longer horizon look at what you’re aiming for and then consider time, work, economics.

Not sure what you paid or what those go for, but that looks like a really clean car with fairly low miles.

Add 15k and you’re likely in 03-04 range.

Starting there you’ve got an engine that’s good to at least 750hp without issue 99% of the time.

T-56 which would be like a $4500 upgrade on your car.

You aren’t wrong about pissing away thousands and thousands on bolt ons for minimal performance improvements.

Spend 1000-1500 on a stock 03-04 and you’ll pick up 75-100rwhp and be at your 500hp mark.

Or as mentioned, buy one that someone else already laid the money down on for mods

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Glad I went back and read the whole thread and saw this.

I was going to say that 4.10s are too low with boost in the future.

Is it the transmission is geared higher in low gears vs a T56?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
If it was going to be a pd car, yeah I think the 4.10 would be a bit much for a street car anyway. But he's talking centrifugal. With b heads, it will still need the short screw out back to be fun. Especially out of boost. Those ports are huge and make lazy air at low speeds. Excellent potential at the top though.

I think the t45 in those is pretty tight. 1st gear is tighter than a t56 for certain.

Real98roush

Established Member
Coyote swap. Every other idea is stupid.

With a $8,000 budget, OP would have to get real creative and do the swap himself. The engine, control pack, fuel system, exhaust and k-member is going to take up most of the budget and leave him with a transmission that can’t handle then power. I don’t think a Coyote swap is his best option based on his budget. When I swapped my car, it was the small things that you don’t account for that added up quickly.

If the end goal is more power, start with the supporting mods first. FLSFC, transmission, clutch, brakes, fuel system.

Do those things one at a time as money allows, drive the car and address all the little things that’ll come up with a 20 year old car. Once you have all that sorted out, a centrifugal supercharger of your choice would leave you with a great car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freebird50

Established Member
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 98 sn95 cobra with 50k original miles and it's bone stock. I'm wanting to get out around 450-500 HP out of this build and still be able to use it as close to a daily driver in the spring-summer- fall seasons. My knowledge of building motors and such is not the highest, but I'm not stupid when it comes to understanding most of the terms and such.

All in all I have set aside around 8k to build this vehicle from motor, exhaust, rear end and fuel system.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My plan was to go to a local trusted performance shop and discuss the build with them but I want an idea of what's possible / realistic before going in to prevent any " taken advantage of"

Thank you!
8k will not go too far unless you do everything yourself. My built motor cost 6500 and I reused my heads, cams, crank, block, and intake. For 450hp you could keep the stock fuel system with a 255lph pump though. To make the 450 you'll need a blower and unless your buying used the kit for these cars is around 5k. Plus exhaust and other supporting mods it will cost well over 10k to do what you want reliably but it will be worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread