2003 Cobra
STEGE STG 4 PORT
BILLETFLOW IDLER SET
BILLETFLOW 2.76
3.2 ALT
METCO 4LBS LOWER
RECENTLY INSTALLED UPR TENSIONER
BELT THAT I HAVE ON CAR : GATOR MICRO-V AT K080797

I was out driving earlier just me and my lady friend,i got on it a few times with no issues. Later on had friend and his girlfriend come with me and that was a a few hundred more pounds added weight. i wanted him to see how car pulled. I got on it, and it squatted HARD, before with me and my lady it hopped like a sombitch, it hooked dead with extra weight and squatted hard. I then got on it one more time and the car fell hard on its face like i missed gear but i didnt. my battery light came on and i heard a "fwaping" sound , so i pulled over, when i stopped and looked at tire i seen i tore chunk out. then we decided to check battery/alt. to see why light came on and noticed that i didnt have a belt turning supercharger and it came off and was resting on crank pulley. I cant put together why it came off because it ran good with just me and my lady, does extra weight mean anything? we put belt back on after we got the car home and it is tight. ( has no play). any insight into why this would happen..
:beer:
thanks

note: tensioner pulley is not ribbed, this is the only new part besides dragon tb/plnm combo but i dont think this(tb/plmn) is a varible in this issue.

Last edited:

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Most of the time when this occurs the Cobra has the stock idlers that fail, which I see you do not. This happened to me a few months ago and the belt got wrapped all kinds of ways around the crankshaft pulley. You recently installed the upper idler, did you double check with CobraBob's belt selection guide before putting it on? Having a belt that is too tight or too loose would surely cause it to shred or come off.

If all else fails purchase another belt and get it going again. GL.

Last edited:

03svt4life

Established Member
ya i went by belt selection it kinda rides on the supercharger tensioner a little different like it could move for whatever reason the pulley i swapped to upr tensioner is not ribbed and i thought stock tensioner pulley is suppose to be ribbed

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
The tensioner ARM should have a ribbed pulley, but the idler/tensioner next to the actual S/C pulley (i.e your UPR) should be smooth.

bubblehead93

Established Member
The tensioner ARM should have a ribbed pulley, but the idler/tensioner next to the actual S/C pulley (i.e your UPR) should be smooth.

if he installed a upr 3-bolt tensioner...

2005-2010 Ford Mustang Billet 3 Bolt Belt Tensioner - UPR Products

then it should have a ribbed pulley. it is the only "tensioner" in the s/c front drive assembly, everything else is an idler. all idlers should be smooth. i don't know what a "idler/tensioner" is, though many of the pulleys are advertised this way becasue they can be mounted as an idler or on the tensioner.

Users who are viewing this thread