Help! Looking for more torque with Whipple 2.3L

Assaulter

Retired Military
Established Member
Ok folks, I need your input here. Currenty running a 2.3L at 17lbs. My current numbers are 587rwhp/538rwtq. I've been comparing my numbers to others with the same/similar set-ups and my torque seems to be a bit on the low side. I'm seeing others with 560 - 570tq range with the same hp as me.

Here's my set-up:
Whipple 2.3l with 3in. pulley (17lbs)
SCT 2600 MAF
Steeda CAI intake
BilletFlow SBTB
80lbs injectors
2 GT pumps in Fore hat w/ dual FPDMs
Stock exhaust manifold
MRT catted high flow H-pipe
Steeda/Borla flow-thru mufflers
Timing is at 17 degrees

First off, Longtubes.....save your breath cause it ain't going to happen. Don't want to deal with clearence issues and I'm in love with my present exhaust sound. I have considered getting JBA shorties though. Also, trying to stay away from lower pulleys. Don't want to remove the lower cage/brace. Other options on the table are going to a 2.75in upper pulley (19lbs) and a JLT RAI. If any of you have suggestions/recommendations, I'm all ears.

Ironhand

Banned
Bump your timing to 19-20 degrees. That will pick the torque up. If not then add a 2lb lower and leave the timing at 17 degrees.

gabe1530

Banned
Personally I would switch to a caged 4lb lower (go to a bigger upper pulley as well) and the new jlt gen2 high boost intake.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I was in a similar situation with my 2.2L KB. I was running 19lbs and only making 520ft-lbs. I added a 4pm lower and torque increased to 600ft-lbs. Now, the extra torque is there due to running four more pounds of boost...but the car feels like an animal in comparison to how it felt before the 4lb lower.

I run a few gallons of 110 mixed with a tank of 93 octane and my tune is pretty aggressive...21* of timing, 11.8:1 A/F, 23psi.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Also, trying to stay away from lower pulleys. Don't want to remove the lower cage/brace.

There is now a caged 4# lower on the market.. I run a Metco lower, the way I see it, every single part has some horror stories and chances are something else will break long before the lower breaks anything..

4# lower, 3.5 upper made the numbers in my sig.. Stock manifolds, catted X, ghetto homemade RAI..

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Also, trying to stay away from lower pulleys. Don't want to remove the lower cage/brace.

Why? Breaking the crank snout isn't going to happen unless you're running a very big blower...and how many times has this happened...a handful tops. I've been running a 4lb lower for years. Everything is fine. Don't believe the internet "facts".

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I personally have yet to see a 600rwtq 2.9L whipple cobra on a stock upper and pump gas. Every dyno will read different just remember that.

Assaulter

Retired Military
Established Member
Bump your timing to 19-20 degrees. That will pick the torque up. If not then add a 2lb lower and leave the timing at 17 degrees.

Thanks Ironhand. I'll get with my tuner on bumping the timing up a few degrees. The car is a DD so I'm thinking that anything more than 19 deg may be excessive for my current boost. Yes or no?

Sell your 2.3 and buy a 2.9 whipple. On a stock pulley you will be over 600 HP&TQ.

Funny thing is I was looking for a 2.3L as the 2.9Ls were coming out and contemplated going that route instead. Saw an ad on Ebay for a brand new, still in the box Gen 2 2.3L, so I threw a low (stupid low) bid at it, not expecting anything from it. Next thing I know, I get an email saying I've won.

Where is this caged lower?

Yes, where is this mythical creature you speak of?:dw:

Assaulter

Retired Military
Established Member
And for the love of God, somebody please explain to me (and yes, I've used to search button) why a lower pulley change makes more torque than a comparable upper pulley change? I've asked two different tuners and even they weren't 100% sure. Best explaination...belt slip.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
It does not matter what pulley swap you do, belt slip is why most do a combo. More HP usually equals more tourque. So whatever way you can incease HP you will increase torque.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
603WTQ here with E85 !! Just a 2.75 upper + long tubes =18psi ... OP the only way to add TQ on your situation will be adding a lower ... 3.0 / 2lb you should be a good pulley combination for you

Users who are viewing this thread