Help!! Light bar.....

jays03cobra

Established Member
And brakes won't work. Just had this installed. Stupid me didn't even check it before I left. Is it possible to have a blown fuse? Seems unlikely for such a simple project but I'm willing to try anything then have to drive back to the shop.

If it was a blown fuse, I'm assuming he tied into the same fuse I would use for brake lights....grrrr I'm so f$$king aggravated right now. Far ride to go on with no brake lights

Last edited:

mnewxcv

Established Member
then you wired it wrong! you have a short somewhere. how did you wire it up? I have no experience with light bars, but did you splice two wires or just one and use a local grounding spot?

Last edited:

CobRoush-00

Established Member
I definitely think it's your wiring. Here's some info for you. Just recheck it was wired properly or your brake fuse will keep blowing. If you added the Splice-in-switch and once again not wired properly you will have the same issue. I have been there. Good luck:

42.If you want to wire the light bar straight to the braking system, you can use the supplied electrical hardware. First remove the cluster of wires found in the channel under the rear seat, on the driver’s side of the car. You want to find the wire that supplies 12 volts to the third brake light, when the pedal is pressed. You can look at the third brake light in the trunk to help determine which two wires are routed to the light, and then use a volt meter to determine which wire carries the voltage. The color of the wires will vary between the various models. In a 2000 Mustang this should be the green wire. This is the wire you’ll connect the red-striped wire from the light bar to.

43.Press a darker blue clip over the wire, and press the metal clip into it. Use pliers if necessary. Then crimp the lighter blue plug onto the light bar’s wire with a wire crimping tool. You can then plug the two connectors together to establish the connection. Use the same procedure for the solid black wire from the light bar, connecting it to the black ground wire found in the cluster of wires.

44.Secure the wires back into the channel, and rewrap the channel with electrical tape to hold them into place. Keep in mind that wiring the light bar in this manner means that the brake light in the bar will work with the convertible top raised or lowered. If you prefer for the bar’s light to only function when the top is lowered, you will want to order the Splice-in Light Bar Switch.

Tango7

Established Member
It sounds like a short to ground. I would just take it back to the shop that did it.. I would say they will be able to find it quick.

Users who are viewing this thread