HELP!! Leaking gas from fuel filler hose!!!!

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
The other day I:loser: accidently backed into my girlfriend's mom's car and damaged the quarter panel/rear bumper at the fuel door.:eek::bash: Since then I've been smelling gas every now and then.:( This morning as I pulled into the parking space at work I could really smell gas. Looked behind the car an seen a trail of spots.:uh oh: Sure enough the trail was gas. Looked under the Cobra and saw the filler hose going into the tank was wet. I'm going to take a closer look this evening to make sure nothings cracked.:kaboom:
My question is how is the hose attached to the tank? And if everything else is ok how can I seal it back?
Thanks for your help!

CTs2Fast96GT

Established Member
There is a rubber grommet in the side of the tank that the filler tube goes through. The tube protrudes into the tank a good 5 or 6 inches. That grommet is either bad or you broke the filler tube but either way its not a real hard fix and should be fairly cheap! ***JOSH***:beer:

WhiteDevil

Pushrod Power
Established Member
Yeah those grommets get really brittle and break pretty easily. That nudge you gave it probably cracked it. You can get them from ford.

01laser

Established Member
there are also a coulple of overfill tubes behind the carpet in the trunk that you might want to check..it is easy to drop the tank and realign everything if you knocked something out of wack...just use a jack...check and make sure the tank straps are in the carriages..mine leaked and i had to take it back out after fuel filter change and shove that rubber gromlet deep down in there (kinda a bitch)

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
Thanks for your help guys! Yep the rubber grommet is bad. Now is there enough room to remove the filler tube without dropping the tank?

01laser

Established Member
RedTwilight said:
Thanks for your help guys! Yep the rubber grommet is bad. Now is there enough room to remove the filler tube without dropping the tank?
YOu have to drop it on the filler side (atleast)..It's not hard to take it down..just 2 bolts and a jack..make sure you get the gas out or it will make it harder on you

SVTowner2B

Established Member
You have to remove the small bolts around the tube by the gas cap, and theres a bolt on the side of the tank with a bracket that goes around the filler tube. I'm pretty sure you gonna have to drop the tank in order to get the room you need to remove it... The grommet also has a lip thats on the inside of the tank, if it tore all the way around you may want to look inside the tank to fish out the other half, but hopefully it's still together and just torn in one area.. Dropping the tank isn't bad, you'll have to let it down a little, disconnect the fuel lines and wiring, then drop it the rest of the way..

epracmetcon

Established Member
Drop the tank, you will not be able to get the filler tube out with out dropping it. You would not beleive how far the tube goes into the tank til you try and take it out without dropping the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread