Help? L Falls Flat On Its Face?

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Just got the L back from the shop. She destroyed yet another harmonic balancer?! WTF? this time I had a factory part installed. We'll see how THAT works... (I aint counting on it...) the motoblue 4lb'er had holes larger than the bolts that go into the crank so I had them drill 3 perfect holes to fit properly. Happened again. This time I put a brand spankin new motoblue 4lb, belt, hub and hardware installed. The last one was used but it certainly looked perfect.... so I dunno.

Anyway so Im driving her around and its starts making this noticable woofing sound. Soon it started to fall on its face when hittin the acc. Wtf is going on Im about ready to sell her if this bs keeps up. :nonono: Ive had a plug launched and I dont think its that.

Any ideas, suggestions? Im bummed to say the least... so much $$ to be throwing at her you'd think she'd love me by now! I think my wife cost me less and at least I get good hea... er nevermind. :)

Help please. Couldnt be the fuel filter could it? I have a new one sittin across the room.

This sucks.

sethlovesfords

Established Member
Have there been any tune related modifications done recently? Or was it running fine before you had the balancer changed and now it's not, on the same tune? When I had my engine replaced and they first started it up it would do this same stunt, turns out the tune was tweaked so it pulled a crap load of timing whenever it was under load. Don't know pal, others will chime in though

Taunto

Established Member
+1^ Did you do anything different with the tune? and How exactly did you destroy the Harmoic Balancer?Did you Spin the Balancer off the shaft or something? My buddies 04 Dodge Dakota RT did this last year, He has never had it tuned.. just one day he went to accellerate and the truck had no power. We changed out his o2 sensors and fuel filter. He had less than a 1/4 tank of fuel left.. so before we put the fuel filter in, we let the truck idle till the fuel light came on... went filled it up with fresh fuel then changed it all.

The fresh fuel was an Idea i had because his truck just finished sitting all winter without fuel stabilizer in it... so it was just an idea. Changing your fuel filter tho would be a good place to start. Good Luck man. Hope you get that truck running

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
AC good to see ya too bud. :) Been soooo busy.

The tune is custom through a predator (see sig). Its not possible that, that tune got screwed just because they killed the battery for a few hours is it?

It feels (I think but Im not positive) like it happens whenever it gets boost... Again I very well may be wrong about that.

Could it be a bad plug? Any chance it could be vacuum related? I checked as many vac lines as I could find... TPS maybe?
The woof woof woof sound seems to be coming out of the exhaust not the engine bay. I listened to the engine with my head under the hood reving and heard no prob. Then I got back in the cab and the noise is still there...? And of course when its under load the sound is louder and more promanent.

Its funny the truck actually felt alot quicker after I got it back from the shop, then a few miles later this stuff started happening. I figured it was possible that it felt quicker because of massive parasitic loss that I didnt realize was there before. Felt more badass than it had in a long time. On the other hand it was spin/chirping pretty hard going into 2nd... alot more than usual anyway.

This is a suck.

Hmmm gas is good too.

When you punch it from a roll it lurchs forward for a split second then it feels like its fighting to stay running.
Taunto: the outer part of the balancer was pulled off the center part. You could see the rubber...

The truck feels like its hunting a bit at idle too.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread