Help Identifying my Interior Color (2000 Mustang)

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Sup guys...

I have a 2000 Mustang w/ a 2 tone interior that I always thought it was "Medium Graphite/Dark Charcoal Gray". Lately I wanted to update a little my interior in terms of:

1) Dying some scratched parts.
2) Dying from Medium Graphite (light gray) to -what I thought was- Dark Charcoal Gray rear interior parts
3) Replacing the Medium Graphite door, kick and door steps panels w/ Dark Charcoal ones from a Junkyard.

So, I was searching for some "dark charcoal gray" spray paint and from what I found here, the closest to the 99-04 Mustangs "Dark" interior color was "Midnite Black" from SEM #5090.

To my surprise, when I mounted the door panels from another 2000 Mustang w/ supposedly the all "Dark Charcoal Gray" interior (not 2 toned), the colors dont match! Here are some pics for comparison:

As you can see, my top color is a darker shade of gray.
Interior_04_zpsd77ba443.gif

The door panels from the Junkyard seems to be 46 shades of gray and mine in the 50's. ( :burn: )
Interior_10_zps07bd0f8c.gif

Interior_07_zps5e9cd897.gif

Interior_02_zps787a55f5.gif

Interior_09_zps94d7b95e.gif

Even the center console bezel doesnt match at all w/ the upper and darker shade of the dash. Maybe because of the material???
Interior_08_zpsc808f0a1.gif

With Flash
Interior_06_zps33122eb4.gif

What it says in my brochure
Interior_13_zps593e2625.gif

In Ford's literature for 2000 Mustangs
Interior_14_zpsd074fdd9.gif

After seeing this, my conclusions are that the darker top dash color from the "Medium Graphite" interior isnt Dark Charcoal Gray from 1999-2004 Stangs at all, but a darker shade of Gray? But then, what color it is?

rcn4god

Swirl Slayer
Established Member
i think i remember mine was midnight black. it was the same as yours. dark charchol came out in 01.

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
i think i remember mine was midnight black. it was the same as yours. dark charchol came out in 01.

Ok, the thing is that my Stang and the one where I got the pieces are both 2000 cars. In Ford's brochure it says Dark Charcoal and in the literature it says Midnight Black for the darker shade interior color for the 2000 model year Mustang.

Last edited:

rcn4god

Swirl Slayer
Established Member
Ok, the thing is that my Stang and the one where I got the pieces are both 2000 cars. In Ford's brochure it says Dark Charcoal and in the literature it says Midnight Black for the darker shade interior color for the 2000 model year Mustang.

safe to say thats midnight black on the dash......i just got rid of all mu stuff like that....get the dye from LMR, it works GREAT!!

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
Good to know! The sad thing is that LMR cant ship aerosols outside 48 lower states due to some security, and, I live in PR. I just tried. Have to find another SEM's supplier! :cuss:

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
UPDATE

So! I proceeded to paint my junkyard door panels with SEM interior paint code: ZUE part#: 17013/5090 (Midnight Black) and the paint DIDN'T match. :mj: I did all the prep steps btw.

1) wash w/ dawn and scotch grease pad
2) clean w/ plastic and vinyl prep
3) adhesion promoter
4) paint

My theory is that, Midnight Black was the color used in the all "black" 2000 interior (it matched 100% the old panel color) but wasnt the color used for the top in 2 tone (Medium Graphite) mustang interior. It matched the leather wrap in my steering wheel too. Crazy!!

Medium Graphite interior for reference:
photo_zps204ae6cd.jpg

New painted door panel comparison:
colores_diferentes_zps2fd36f2d.jpg

Is evident that the top part is a darker shade of gray than Midnight Black. This were Ford's interior colors for the year 2000:
ScreenShot2013-03-16at93521PM_zps2b468f33.png

After all of this, I gather that Ford used up to 3 different shades of "dark grey" for 1999-2000 Mustangs Medium Graphite interiors. Thats all messed up if you ask me. Why mixing all those shades of a similar color? Poor QC job.

1)Darkest Grey: Top Dash
2)Darker Grey: Center console bezel
3)Dark Grey: Midnight black on leather wrapped steering wheel

My guess is that the color used for the top part of the dash in 2 tones 1999-2000 Mustang interior is YZ5 Alchemy. There's only one way to know. I dont know why Ford didnt stick w/ a nomenclature similar to those of Dark Parchment / Med. Parchment interior. Dark Parchment is the color on top of the dash and Med. Parchment the lighter bottom color. The problem is that Dark Graphite is even lighter than Midnight Black. :bash:

Sorry for the rant. :fm:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread