Help identifying my 4V (pics inside)

GCZ

Established Member
Hey guys,

I picked up a track car over the winter - it is a 97 GT with a 4V 4.6 motor. Unfortunately the previous owner had the motor built but couldn't tell me what year etc exactly it is. Maybe somebody here has some expertise to share?

My research leads me to believe that it is an aluminum block (year unknown) with 'C' heads and what appears to be a Mach 1 intake.

mustang4v.jpg

mustang4v3.jpg

mustang4v2.jpg

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
'03 mach 1 motor with 96-98 coil pack setup. If it was an '04 it would have bare aluminum valve covers, '03 mach motors have black valve covers.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
The guy probably did not want to do a COP conversion, I've seen a lot of guys do this swap and keep their coil wires.

GCZ

Established Member
Thanks!

The car has the original SN95 cluster (and it appears to be working), so between that and the plug wires, fair to assume that it is using the original 97 ECU? Is that an ok option for tuning this motor?

Adiabatik

Banned
An what is that clear tube (that looks like it will melt) running from the passenger side VC?

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
An what is that clear tube (that looks like it will melt) running from the passenger side VC?

It matches the hose coming from the PCV valve on the driverside valvecover. Both are likely running to a vented catch can.

OP, if you have a picture of the valley with the intake removed, that would confirm that it is a WAP block and not a TEKSID, lending further credence to it being all '03-04 Mach 1.

GCZ

Established Member
It matches the hose coming from the PCV valve on the driverside valvecover. Both are likely running to a vented catch can.

OP, if you have a picture of the valley with the intake removed, that would confirm that it is a WAP block and not a TEKSID, lending further credence to it being all '03-04 Mach 1.

Correct, the hoses go to a catch can.

No other pics of the motor disassembled/out of the car unfortunately! But I will be installing an intake spacer in the next couple of months - what would I be looking for?

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
A TEKSID block will have this pattern in the valley. Disregard the text in the picture:
TeksidTerminatorValley_zpsca818bf9.jpg

While a WAP block will have this pattern in the valley. If it is a Mach block, this is what it will look like:
wap.jpg

Pictures pulled from Google.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread