Help. I think my exhaust is ruined.

StannggerrEd

Established Member
Guys so I bought this exhaust from a local guy (borla stinger) it needed a good clean up so first I washed it, then took some 000 steel wool since there was a lot of build up of road grime. Started to polish the exhaust and it seems the finish is ruined. It doesn't make sense since I did this all by hand too

943cb134d2444de62b820d1cc43bd92e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if you need to sand that down to get rid of it. If it's deep pitting than your just going to have to live with it unfortunately.

StannggerrEd

Established Member
Some of it was road grime I'm guessing tar but it seems to be light pitting. Unfortunately it doesn't want to come out

NastyGT500

Naples Premier Detailer!
Established Member
If it's tar use a dedicated tar remover and it should come off pretty easily. I agree with fulanititoo8198 , you may have to change this into a 'project' instead of a quick clean up.

Keep us posted.

oldmodman

Established Member
If the tips are chromed then they are shot. You can not sand down and then polish chrome.

But if they are stainless steel than you can.
Sand with a moderately heavy grit to start. Then work down with progressively finer grits. And after you get down to 2500 then you can start polishing.
They should look better than new after you finish.
Search for "polishing exhaust" threads. They will give you examples of what each stage of polishing should look like.
Just realize that it's almost impossible to do it by hand. The least you will need are felt wheels in a drill motor.

StannggerrEd

Established Member
Thanks guys. Unfortunately the tips are chrome ugh. I saw that I could use steel wool to get the hard grime off and then come back with a drill. I have a drill just wanted to see what I could get by hand first that way I didn't burn through the chrome.

oldmodman

Established Member
Are the chrome tips held on with clamps or welded on? Either way it might be best to just buy replacement tips. Lots of companies sell just the exhaust tips and the replacements can either be clamped or welded on.

Weslsew

Established Member
You can just cut them off and have a shop weld new tips on. That's going to be the best bet

StannggerrEd

Established Member
I have been debating about just cutting the tips off and getting them welded back on. Dumb question but does borla sell replacement tips for the stinger catback?

mgmustang1

Established Member
Same thing happened with my borla tips. I had them rechromed.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mgmustang1

Established Member
They only did the tips. It cost me 120. 60 each tip.

mgmustang1

Established Member
It's a local shop by me in Asbury park nj.

mgmustang1

Established Member
find a place local that does rechroming and bring the tailpipes with you. sending it out wouldn't be worth it shipping wise.

96gt02

Established Member
What you should do is cut those tips off and sell them to me then buy new ones :)

Users who are viewing this thread