Help! I need a new job

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
The purpose of this post is to get help or advice. Whatever I can get. Starting at the beginning, I have my degree in petroleum engineering and up until January of this year I had been working in West Texas for an E&P company as a drilling engineer. For those who aren't aware, the oil industry is not doing well right now. My company cut rigs, and then they cut employees and I was one of them. And since the economy of West Texas lives on nothing but oil, I had no other companies to go to. I sold my house, packed up everything I own and moved home with my parents in Mississippi. As of right now I'm currently living in Jackson, working at a Ford dealership, selling cars. While this may be new and interesting to me, I'm not happy where I am. I have no friends here. The people I work with, although they're car salesman, they are not car enthusiasts, and I have nothing to talk about with them and I have no one to hang out with. I'm not able to do any of the things that I enjoy doing. I just want a change. I want to do something that will allow me to live well and still have fun. I need advice. What can I do? Where can I go? I don't have kids or a wife so I can move at will. Hit me with some ideas guys cause I need a change. Thanks.

MG0h3

Established Member
Tough break man.

Maybe expand your search within the industry.

Its too bad you couldn't get another job, maybe more labor oriented, within the oil industry. They still pay great and you could slide back into the engineering position when things pick up.

At 65 my dad was driving the tool truck for a pipeline job in the montana area and was making ridiculous money.

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
I have checked with every friend and contact I have in the oil industry, including service companies and labor oriented jobs. No one I checked with is hiring right now, and I have even been turned down because of my degree, saying "You're over qualified".

That's what leads me to ask "well what else can I do?"

Petroleum Engineering is so specific, unlike mechanical or civil, although I have taken a few courses in those. I'm stumped here.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Buddy in South Dakota works in the oil industry and it's keeping him busy. I'd suggest moving if there's nothing around South.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Best of luck op. I am also in the search for a new engineering job. Sometimes I wish I did mechanical or aero or some kind of computer programming as they have tons of jobs everywhere all the time. Not so many people looking for materials engineers. I'm just flat out done with my employer and the area. I am looking at a much broader search now. Best of luck to you.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
The purpose of this post is to get help or advice. Whatever I can get. Starting at the beginning, I have my degree in petroleum engineering and up until January of this year I had been working in West Texas for an E&P company as a drilling engineer. For those who aren't aware, the oil industry is not doing well right now. My company cut rigs, and then they cut employees and I was one of them. And since the economy of West Texas lives on nothing but oil, I had no other companies to go to. I sold my house, packed up everything I own and moved home with my parents in Mississippi. As of right now I'm currently living in Jackson, working at a Ford dealership, selling cars. While this may be new and interesting to me, I'm not happy where I am. I have no friends here. The people I work with, although they're car salesman, they are not car enthusiasts, and I have nothing to talk about with them and I have no one to hang out with. I'm not able to do any of the things that I enjoy doing. I just want a change. I want to do something that will allow me to live well and still have fun. I need advice. What can I do? Where can I go? I don't have kids or a wife so I can move at will. Hit me with some ideas guys cause I need a change. Thanks.

Man I hate to hear that, I don't know if you remember but I met you probably a year ago in Lubbock at Sonic, ended up running a New Edge that was hanging out with you guys later on that night. Always been jealous of your car and as a fellow PE, I definitely understand how hard it is out here right now, fortunately my company hasn't been hit yet but it's obviously always in the back of our minds.

I can't promise anything, but I'll definitely put out a few lines and see if I hear of anything around me (Hobbs). Would you be willing to re enter the oilfield in a different position?

Last edited:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Unclesamwantyou.jpg

Seriously though, if you could get an OCS contract, it's not a bad gig. I get paid well as a Captain and the good days outweigh the bad though I'm kind of in a specialty field but I am an engineer officer. You'd get some cool opportunities as a degreed engineer as well. You could work for the Corps of Engineers and put the degree to work. Or not be a nerd and blow shit up like I do!

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I'm in O&G on the technology side. We are cutting costs everywhere we can. But, the good news is that oil is starting to come back. What about Houston? Shell? BP? GE? Engineering is still hot and they will start hiring again soon.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sound like you lived and died by the sword - in this case a boom or bust industry.

If you are willing to relocate overseas you could probably make huge money. A guy I graduated with lives in Saudi Arabia and is a business development manager at CB&I. I'm still not sure how he got into that position as he graduated with a civil engineering degree

cobralvr01

Established Member
I would look to expand your degree. I would partner your petroleum degree with a renewable energy one. You would be a valuable asset in the energy industry by being completely rounded off with fossil fuel technology and renewable technology. You would be a beast in the energy sector.

Bandit5.4

Slow driver
Established Member
Yes, I was a drilling engineer.
From most recent to oldest:
Drilling engineer with Apache.
Drilling tools engineer for NOV.
MWD/LWD engineer for Baker.
Frac engineer for Halliburton.

Users who are viewing this thread