HELP I have Popping in the rear

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Hello,

I recently installed bmr fixed upper control arm along with their mount. At the same time I installed lower relocation brackets. Since then I have a loud pop coming from a bushing. American Muscle told me to take the relocation brackets off and to see if the noise is still there and it was. They also told me to check the pinion angle and it was -1. I also retorqued all the bolts on the upper arm and mount and they were to spec. I'm currently running gt500 lower control arms. Before the install I had no popping. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Did you torque everything with the weight of the car on the suspension? If not thats what you need to do!

nyuk98GT

Established Member
gt5.0coyote,

Did you torque everything down with the suspension loaded? If not then loosen things up, load the suspension, and torque to spec. If you do loosen stuff up you may be able to hear something 'relax' and that is probably the popping culprit.

Can you tell where the pop is coming from?

**edit: What about the endlinks? They need to be snugged down pretty well or they will make popping noises. Just a thought.
**end of edit

Chris

Last edited:

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
gt5.0coyote,

Did you torque everything down with the suspension loaded? If not then loosen things up, load the suspension, and torque to spec. If you do loosen stuff up you may be able to hear something 'relax' and that is probably the popping culprit.

Can you tell where the pop is coming from?

**edit: What about the endlinks? They need to be snugged down pretty well or they will make popping noises. Just a thought.
**end of edit

Chris

Endlinks on the swaybar?

KushBandit

Established Member
Endlinks on the swaybar?
The "bars" that hold your rear sway bar.
IMG_2514.JPG

KushBandit

Established Member
how do I tell if they are bad?

Knock the bottom of each endlink, where the bushing is, with a rubber mallet or simply the bottom of your fist. If you hear it pop/clunk, you'll need to replace them. If you don't reproduce the sound, you will have at least eliminated the sway bar from the equation.

KushBandit

Established Member
Well, shit, perhaps I should've read your signature for your mods lol. I doubt your eibach end links went bad. The stock stuff is what usually goes out.

I would look at your LCA/UCA bushings to see if they are binding.

5lho

Established Member
Also often the rubber delaminates from the bushing shell and this makes it noisy. If you disconnect the upper and the link itself spins around the bushing, that's your problem right there. The replacement ones from Ford are better bonded.

BMR Tech 2

If you're running GT500 LCAs, they need to be torqued with the suspension loaded. The bonded rubber bushings will bind up and can pop if they're torqued with the suspension not fully loaded. The same holds true for the bushings on the differential. If this bushing was torqued without the suspension loaded, it could be torn or damaged.

TallyGT

Established Member
+1 on the upper axle bushing. Does it only clunk when you're getting on the gas after cruising after awhile?

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Thanks everyone problem SOLVED!!!! The gt500 lower control arms were bad. I had bought some BMR poly ones a couple days ago and installed them today and the popping went away. Thanks again everyone for all your help it was very appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread