HELP!! Horrible knocking noise when clutch is let out

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
I was just driving my 03 cobra casually one night then a loud “boom” comes from the tranny/clutch area then it started knocking really bad. I turned it off and towed it home. I drained the tranny fluid and nothing was in it. I replaced the clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing and clutch fork. Everything installed correctly and torqued to spec. I Put 4 quarts of penzoil synchromesh, I got it installed and finished up last night then Turned the car on and the noise is still there!! It only starts knocking when i let my foot off the clutch then goes away when i press the clutch all the way down. It goes in all the gears just fine, no grinding. I tried back up and started knocking again when i let the clutch out. I have no idea what the problem is. Could this be a bad inputshaft bearing? Its a t56 with 26 spline. I have a link of a video of it right here

01yellercobra

Established Member
Did you check the input shaft before you put it back together? Was there any play?

Tlove21

Mine made the same noise. Several bad bearings in the trans and ended up junking the trans from metal chunks flying around. Take it apart and inspect it immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fitforspeed

Established Member
My car has been making some noise when clutch is let out also. Not quite as noisy as yours though. I wonder if the pressure plate could be contacting the clutch fork. Maybe get the car in the air so you can get under it and get a better look/listen. Maybe remove the metal dust cover for the clutch fork and shine a light in there and see how it looks, while not running of course. Don’t want something to fly out and take your face out.

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
Mine made the same noise. Several bad bearings in the trans and ended up junking the trans from metal chunks flying around. Take it apart and inspect it immediately.

Damn really? Im hoping its just the input shaft bearing and countershaft bearing. I already got the bearings and was going to change them tonight. I dont see any chuncks in the fluid, just looks like some glitter in there

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
My car has been making some noise when clutch is let out also. Not quite as noisy as yours though. I wonder if the pressure plate could be contacting the clutch fork. Maybe get the car in the air so you can get under it and get a better look/listen. Maybe remove the metal dust cover for the clutch fork and shine a light in there and see how it looks, while not running of course. Don’t want something to fly out and take your face out.
I got a look under there while it was running and everything seemed fine to me. And I dont have a dust cover for the clutch fork :/

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
Wth. First I'd look inside the bell and see what's going on. I've totally lost bearings in a T5 and it didnt sound like that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I looked in there while the car was running and when it was off and everything seemed ok, everything in the bell was replaced tuesday night. clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing. Everything seemed to be working good.

Tlove21

Damn really? Im hoping its just the input shaft bearing and countershaft bearing. I already got the bearings and was going to change them tonight. I dont see any chuncks in the fluid, just looks like some glitter in there

You might get lucky.....but more than anything.....take it apart ASAP lol

Mystic#519 Cameron

Svt_cameron
Established Member
Since the noise only appe
You might get lucky.....but more than anything.....take it apart ASAP lol

well just took the cover off the tranny, i didnt get so lucky :( the input shaft had been shredded along with multiple gears inside. Theres Chunks everywhere

Tlove21

Since the noise only appe

well just took the cover off the tranny, i didnt get so lucky :( the input shaft had been shredded along with multiple gears inside. Theres Chunks everywhere

Awh dang....well, you’re going the same route I am haha

Users who are viewing this thread