HELP - High IAT2 with C&R HE

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Hey guys,
So, I recently datalogged my car b/c I noticed my moroso reservoir was extremely hot for only 10-15 miles of city driving. I have installed the C&R HE and recall my reservior being luke warm to the touch when i first had it installed.

Anyways, today and thoughout the week I data logged my car and I saw my IAT2 where at 140-150 from just city 10-15 minutes of city driving.

Today's city driving datalog - iat2 144, iat1 100, engine temp 196.

I do hear the fans when the car is on and the water/water wetter circulating in the reservoir.

Are these normal temps for 90* weather on pump gas? If not, any ideas on what could be wrong? :shrug:

Thanks.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
Did you check your intercooler pump ? Did u check for air pockets ? Make sure also your fans are kicking in right and not just at medium setting . Also , is always good to invest on a the reische Tstat 170 ... :)

Van@RevanRacing

Hey guys,
So, I recently datalogged my car b/c I noticed my moroso reservoir was extremely hot for only 10-15 miles of city driving. I have installed the C&R HE and recall my reservior being luke warm to the touch when i first had it installed.

Anyways, today and thoughout the week I data logged my car and I saw my IAT2 where at 140-150 from just city 10-15 minutes of city driving.

Today's city driving datalog - iat2 144, iat1 100, engine temp 196.

I do hear the fans when the car is on and the water/water wetter circulating in the reservoir.

Are these normal temps for 90* weather on pump gas? If not, any ideas on what could be wrong? :shrug:

Thanks.

You've either got an air pocket somewhere, low fluid or your intercooler pump is not flowing at the appropriate volume.

This can happen occasionally even though 144 isn't excessive it should be lower than that. I suspect your intercooler pump is fading or possibly check your alternator voltage. If you alt voltage is down the pump slows down and so does everything else thus making for a hotter engine.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Well I ran the car with the reservoir cap off for about 20 min and still no change.

What voltage should I see from my alternator? And how to I know if my intercooler is on its way out if the alt is fine?

acobra03

Established Member
Is there a way to burp the intercooler system? I have the C&R HE from Revan and had great results with the stock pullied blower. With the pullied TVS the computer is pulling timing because of 135 degree IAT's. Should timing be pulled at that temp?

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

Well I ran the car with the reservoir cap off for about 20 min and still no change.

What voltage should I see from my alternator? And how to I know if my intercooler is on its way out if the alt is fine?

Let's first log voltage with you SCT tuner. You should have 13.9 plus volts in the charging system. Then you need to check voltage to the pump and make sure it is consistent with ALT voltage.

Is there a way to burp the intercooler system? I have the C&R HE from Revan and had great results with the stock pullied blower. With the pullied TVS the computer is pulling timing because of 135 degree AIT's. Should timing be pulled at that temp?

If you are pulling timing at 135 that is a product of the tune. Check your voltage as well. Voltage is so critical on these cars I cannot STRESS it enough!!!

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
Let's first log voltage with you SCT tuner. You should have 13.9 plus volts in the charging system. Then you need to check voltage to the pump and make sure it is consistent with ALT voltage.

Well I datalogged and had autozone test the alternator and it is bad. I did research and everyone recommends PA Performance alternators, so my question is should I go with the 130 or 200 amp alternator?

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
200 amp. Revan Racing sells those as well IIRC.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
should I go with the 130 or 200 amp alternator?

When I get mine it'll be 200. You'll have reserve that way. The car will only use what it needs. With the 130, that's all the amperage you can get even if you need more.

Steve

P.S. Evasive was posting while I was typing.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Is the coolant really bubbling out of the reservoir with the cap off? It takes a bit of work to get it going right, ask me how I know.

lawdude

Established Member
According to my aeroforce gauge my alternator is fine. Last time I checked, there was no aftermarket alternator for the 2010. Has that changed yet?

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
200 amp. Revan Racing sells those as well IIRC.

When I get mine it'll be 200. You'll have reserve that way. The car will only use what it needs. With the 130, that's all the amperage you can get even if you need more.

Steve

P.S. Evasive was posting while I was typing.

Though more amps is always better, is it really necessary? I just don't want to spend more then I have to.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sounds like you've added more load than factory so I would get the 200.

Van@RevanRacing

Well I datalogged and had autozone test the alternator and it is bad. I did research and everyone recommends PA Performance alternators, so my question is should I go with the 130 or 200 amp alternator?

Tell me about all of your mods and what year is the car? 2008?

I had a couple of PA Alternators fail and I stopped using them.

According to my aeroforce gauge my alternator is fine. Last time I checked, there was no aftermarket alternator for the 2010. Has that changed yet?

Not as of yet lawdude.

Van@RevanRacing

2007 - 3.4 whipple, intake, TB, o/r x, BAP, 72# injectors, HE, moroso reservoir

2007-2009 are known for alternator failure. You don't have a lot of additional amperage load. Just go with an OEM replacement (rebuild) and you'll be fine.

How high have you been taching the car? What's the highest RPM you've ever pulled it to?

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
2007-2009 are known for alternator failure. You don't have a lot of additional amperage load. Just go with an OEM replacement (rebuild) and you'll be fine.

How high have you been taching the car? What's the highest RPM you've ever pulled it to?

I take the car to redline no higher.

Where is the best place to buy a rebuilt alternator, tousley?

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

I take the car to redline no higher.

Where is the best place to buy a rebuilt alternator, tousley?

How many miles? These alternators are known to fail. You might be better off just getting one from your local dealer because of the core exchange versus paying shipping back and forth and waiting for shipment and credit a credit card. etc.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
How many miles? These alternators are known to fail. You might be better off just getting one from your local dealer because of the core exchange versus paying shipping back and forth and waiting for shipment and credit a credit card. etc.

17k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread