HELP! HELP! HELP!

darkecho

Established Member
I have a huge problem and I need some major help. I've been driving my 94 Lightning today with no problem and I got home and was playing around with it (changing bulbs, etc.. nothing engine wise). Well, I decided to start her up and drive to the store to get some grub. For no reason, whenever it would shift gears it would jerk really badly. (I mean REALLY badly) It did it the whole way....from 1st to 2nd gear, from drive to reverse. Does anyone have any clue why it would just suddenly start doing this??? It's got me really worried. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Try resetting the PCM. Disconnect your battery for 10 minutes.

Reconnect, start up the truck with no accessories on, let it re-learn its settings for about a minute or so.

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
I may be wrong but my 93 did something very similar. It turned out to be a Vehical speed sensor.

If thats all it is, it is a simple and inexpensive repair.

What bulbs did you replace? Were they anywhere close to the engine? If so you may have accedentally disconected a wire somewhere.

Also check all your fuses, both the regular fuse box and the power distrubiting box, maybee while changing a bulb you may have blown a fuse.

Good luck, and I hope I was of some help.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Hopefully it's just the VSS like mentioned, but....

How many miles on the truck?
How's the tranny fluid look/smell?

darkecho

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT X 2
Hopefully it's just the VSS like mentioned, but....

How many miles on the truck?
How's the tranny fluid look/smell?

There's 133000 miles on the truck, but it runs great (normally). But I took it to a mechanic and he (not surprisingly) told me that it's probably just the transmission. I checked the fluid myself and it was actually fine. Could it be a fuse or some sort? The reason that I ask this is because as I mentioned before, I was changing some bulbs and at the same time that I noticed the whole "gear shifting" thing, I also noticed that my power door locks and overhead interior lights don't work. Does anyone think that it has something to do with that?:-?

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Not real likely... but get a test light and check all fuses anways... sounds like one is out.

Normally these trannys are pretty durable. How does the fluid smell? Would you know burnt tranny fluid if you smelled it do you think? Smells pretty nasty :xpl:

darkecho

Established Member
looks and smells fine

My mechanic told me that it sounds like it might just have some "trash" stuck in one of the valves. I'm going tomorrow to get my transmission flushed and see if that helps. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for all the help you've given so far.

darkecho

Established Member
It's always the littlest things!

Well, my hunch was absolutely right. I finally gave in and took my L to a transmission shop. He had me explain the problem to him and told me right off the bat...."It's not your transmission...you've got a wire pinched or a short somewhere"
Well, I was kind of reluctant with that prognosis, but I decided to test it anyway. Sure enough...I had a blown circuit breaker! I changed it ($8) and everything went back to normal. That one little circuit being blown had taken out all my interior lights, my outside cargo light, my power door locks, my speedometer, my odometer and my shift points. I know this sounds insane, but it's running perfect now and all the lights work fine. Oh well. It's always the littlest things when something goes wrong. Thanks to all of you guys that attempted to help me out. Ya'll were great.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Schweeeeet! :)
That is wild, I'll remember that if that happens to me. See, these are pretty durable trannies... UNLIKE a 4x4 Dodge :D :D :D

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by SVT X 2
Schweeeeet! :)
That is wild, I'll remember that if that happens to me. See, these are pretty durable trannies... UNLIKE a 4x4 Dodge :D :D :D
LOL

Man I missed this thread....... orry.... had that problem on my '95..... stupid wires... why do we need them again??? :D

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Knob...

Originally posted by sohowcome
LOL

Man I missed this thread....... orry.... had that problem on my '95.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GEE ZACH!! You've got a NORMAL keyboard and computer and YOU managed to miss a letter too...
geeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Users who are viewing this thread