Help get me emissions legal

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Your best bet is going to be to find a good reputable tuner that knows what they are doing, or find a way around it. Otherwise you are going to be pulling your hair out trying to get all those monitors to set ready doing it yourself unless you really know what you are doing with HP tuners or something along those lines.

Gamer2Cars

For the Horse
Established Member
Working on getting my car emissions legal. I am running Kooks long tubes with high flow cats and bassani exhaust. Tuned local. I failed first round on NOx but my CO and HC was fine. I sent pics of both printouts to my tuner and he said based on the drive trace, it looked like my Cats were not doing anything.

I called Kooks about it to ask them, they said the high flows will allow you to pass visual and pull some of the stuff out, but they were *not* made to pass sniffer tests like Colorado and some of the other strict states. The tech said that was why they made the "Green" cats. He indicated those should clean up the rest of my problem and get me past it.

If it does (fingers crossed) I will just swap mid pipes for emissions each time and use my other one for the 2 years between emissions cycles.

adova

Established Member
Well, between the new catted mid-pipes and some ID1000 injectors, I have spent above the $715 limit and am going to apply for the "I spent a lot of money trying to be legal" Colorado Waiver and see if I can get past it. Then I will just transfer the title to Florida at my family's house and move beyond this issue...

98mdsnake

Established Member
Congratulations on your Cobra! I love the color.

I run Bassani mid length headers with a Bassani 5 piece catless X and Borla Stingers. When its time to do emissions, I just remove the two short pipes between the headers and the X and slide in my cats. After the test, the cats come back off until emissions comes around again two years later. I'm tuned so that when my cats are installed, all of my emissions stuff 'checks in' and, when removed- I don't get any CELs.

My neighbors can kiss my ass. On their parcel, they're living their version of the American dream. I'm doing the same on mine. At 42, I stopped giving a shit what other people think. I guess I'm just a salty bastard. I'm paying a mortgage and taxes.. so what of it? Musclecars are 'Merican like guns, big trucks, Harleys, and baseball. They can get over it- IMO. HA!
So on a 2001 cobra with stock headers and a catted x-ipe with just two cats....this should pass emissions? I used to live in MD but now I'm VA and we have the same emission testing. Just bought a 2001 Cobra and its got a O/R xpipe with the MIL eliminators. Someone I know that's an emission inspector said it wont pass like it is because the test will read "not complete" because of the MILS. I know the stock cobras have 4 cats just wondering if two on a aftermarket pipe will still pass.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
So on a 2001 cobra with stock headers and a catted x-ipe with just two cats....this should pass emissions? I used to live in MD but now I'm VA and we have the same emission testing. Just bought a 2001 Cobra and its got a O/R xpipe with the MIL eliminators. Someone I know that's an emission inspector said it wont pass like it is because the test will read "not complete" because of the MILS. I know the stock cobras have 4 cats just wondering if two on a aftermarket pipe will still pass.

This is why we can't have nice things...

Does anyone know where to buy some illegal fireworks?

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
If their test is like MD, I've passed before with mil eliminators

wckdvnm

Established Member

Then this inspector has no idea what he’s on about as I’ve passed CA smog with them. They do allow the monitors to set fine but if someone knew what they were then I could see you getting caught.

Users who are viewing this thread