Help: Front Subframe bolt broke off!!!

04HarleyF250

Fun in the Sun
Established Member
Dropping the IRS to put new bushings in the rear, everything is disconnected and subframe is supported: I break all 4 subframe bolts loose, take the nuts off the front 2, pull the bolt out of the rear drivers side, go to pull the rear passengers bolt out, and as im loosening, the "tab" mounted on the inside of the frame that prevents the bolt from spinning breaks off and drops to the ground.

Now i just cry as it spins.... Surely this has happened to someone else?

I tried wedging a screwdriver in there, but it cant stop it, it doesnt look like a vise grip will get in there, maybe ill just go wander around sears and hope for the right tool.

black 10th vert

Established Member
you may need to get in there with a mig welder and tack the nut in place. Not sure if there is enough clearance for the tip, though...

good luck!
Brian

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
OOPS!! Thought you were talking about the FRONT bolts!!

The rear frame nuts have come loose on me before, what I did was cut the bolt off with a cutting tool. After I removed the rear from the car I drilled the hole all the way through the frame rail and used a long bolt that would pass through the frame. Then you can use a wrench to hold the nut on the side of the frame to tighten it up. Hope this helps, Hermann:beer:

04HarleyF250

Fun in the Sun
Established Member
might have to torch that bitch out. melt the side off u can get to and push it through

that was a thought... but it cant be pushed out that way for the same reason i cant get to it: the frame is back there

edit: I just read IRS swap, and im curious how you ended up attaching the subframe in the rear? I imagine you cut into the frame a little more than the guys at SVT?

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe he's talking about something like a Sawzall. Not sure what you could get in there because just cutting the head off isn't going to help you.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
The tool I used

It is an air powered cutter that is simular to a sawsall that is much smaller and uses jigsaw sized blades. I cut the head off the bolt, lowered the irs subframe out and drilled a hole through to the other side of the frame. Used a longer bolt to attach it with a nut on the far side of the frame and a wrench to hold it.:beer:

04HarleyF250

Fun in the Sun
Established Member
i guess ill try to sneak a sawzall in and cut that nut off tomorrow, hopefully ill be able to get the old nut and whats welded to it out

...and then ill take a look at just running a bolt all the way through the frame like hermann is talking about

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Are you just talking about the bolt that goes through the bracket?

I was talking about the frame mount bolts.....if the bolt that goes through the rear irs bushing is spinning you can cut it off at the backside or simply loosen up all 4 of the framemount bolts and lower it out that way, then cut of hold the spinning part with vice grips and remove and replace.:beer:

04HarleyF250

Fun in the Sun
Established Member
Frame mount bolts are good. I didnt realize the bolt going through the bushing only mounted to the bracket, not the bracket and frame. Upon closer look, I took out the four frame mount bolts and the whole subframe came down. With the subframe and brackout out, that piece of the frame didnt block access to the nut, and i was able to get it right off. It seems like ford designed the brackets to be removed from the subframe once all of it is off the car since that tab is so weak, but then why is it there at all?

Thanks again, Hermann.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Glad you got it handled....

Frame mount bolts are good. I didnt realize the bolt going through the bushing only mounted to the bracket, not the bracket and frame. Upon closer look, I took out the four frame mount bolts and the whole subframe came down. With the subframe and brackout out, that piece of the frame didnt block access to the nut, and i was able to get it right off. It seems like ford designed the brackets to be removed from the subframe once all of it is off the car since that tab is so weak, but then why is it there at all?

Thanks again, Hermann.

I was trying to give you solutions to any which way it may have been messed up!!:beer: Hope it helped you out some. :thumbsup:Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread