HELP! Front struts blown out 2013 GT w/ BMR springs

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Somehow both of my front struts are now blown out and pouring oil after I have lowered my car on BMR springs.

Does any one know if the factory Brembo struts are the same as non-Brembo struts?

Has anyone else had this issue? Should I go back to a factory strut or dip in for some aftermarket?

I'm a little ticked...:cuss:

injfuel

broke parts again
Established Member
Brembos are different , different spring rate and strut , the strut mounts are very tricky , they didn't come apart on install did they ? And now that they're busted I definetly would get some aftermarket struts

Humboldt1498

Established Member
The Brembo struts have slightly different rates from base GT's. Since you have lowering springs, I wouldn't waste my money with stock struts. Both Koni and Tokico make good replacement shocks that will pair well with your springs.

87hatchy

Established Member
The Brembo struts are supposedly different...The reason they failed is most likely simply because you lowered it. The factory struts were designed for factory ride height, not 1"-2" lower than factory ride height. I am very surprised they failed so quickly but I am willing to bet every lowered car on factory shocks/struts will have their shock/struts fail prematurely...

Going back with factory setup is a waste of money, they will just fail. Get some aftermarket ones, front and rear.

Last edited:

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Ouch D! Did you hit a big dip in the road or something? Check our board for shock sales because I know a couple of vendors have some on sale. :)

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I spoke with Kelly at BMR, the Ford guy they have designing their Mustang springs. He stated, and I know for a fact, there are a ton of people still using factory struts with their SP009 springs. I am only lowered 1.25" in the front as well.

I did reuse the factory strut mounts, of which I wasn't supposed to....

I just don't know what to do....

Dave_6

Established Member
Wow. :eek: I definitely won't be reusing my stock struts and shocks after seeing what happened to yours. Sorry bud!

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I spoke with Kelly at BMR, the Ford guy they have designing their Mustang springs. He stated, and I know for a fact, there are a ton of people still using factory struts with their SP009 springs. I am only lowered 1.25" in the front as well.

My car is lower than yours, I used the stock mounts and have had no issues and thats even with hitting a dip or two by accident.

87hatchy

Established Member

I know a LOT of people keep the factory shocks/struts and lower their car and yeah they are fine still because the cars very new still. They will fail early eventually...

As I said before though, I am very surprised yours failed so early. Only 200 miles, something isn't right. I know their have been huge arguments on what I am about to say in other threads but this is what I would do: Put the stock springs on and take it in to get fixed under warranty. I would normally agree with the argument that Ford shouldn't have to cover this since you modded the car, BUT...200 miles? really? I think you should do this.
Flame suit - engaged.

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
sucks to hear man. now you have me thinking about struts at the same time as the springs....

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I know a LOT of people keep the factory shocks/struts and lower their car and yeah they are fine still because the cars very new still. They will fail early eventually...

I disagree. My wife's Mach has been lowered on Sportlines with stock shocks/struts for 8 years. It now has 75k miles on it and still rides great. In my opinion, it comes down to how you treat a car.

In D's case, it must be something specific to the Brembo shocks/struts themselves.

Last edited:

SoldierSnake

Like a kid again.
Established Member
Put the stock springs back on and take it in for warrenty replacement, in theory you either did something wrong during spring install or the struts were bad from the factory. The call is on you, I would take it in for warrenty and replace then put the lowering springs back on making sure I did it properly this time. If it fails again then it is the spring and the spring company should be responsible. Just my opinion.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune thought, seems like something that would happen to me.

Colby

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I'm going to look into going with the Ford Racing struts since those might be readily available for the dealer to get vs. a ordered aftermarket strut. Parents come in to town tomorrow, so I am REALLY limited on time.

Happy Birthday to me! Not...

Users who are viewing this thread