Help from experienced e bayers!

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
OK, so I put my car for auction and the starting price was $4100. I figured it would make people want to bid, since it is a low price (I think... and aparently so), but this guy just bid $5000... that's $900 more than the starting price, no questions asked. Should I try and contact him, or just call this one :bs: ? Should I just "see what happens"? Because it might make someone else not bid, and if this is a fake then I would be screwed. Auction ends this friday. Thanks for the help!

LGSCHMIDTJR

Established Member
VNM
You can check out his profile and look for feedback he has received, and is he located near you? I would think that if he did bid on the car he would be contacting you with questions. Maybe you could contact him and ask if he has any questions about the car.

Good luck
Laurence

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
ScrpnVNM said:
I put my car for auction...
starting price was $4100....
this guy just bid $5000...
I'm confused... Your starting price was $4100. Even if someone comes along and bids $5000, that doesn't mean the current winnning bid would jump to $5,000.

Some bidders will simply bid the max they're willing to pay...and they'll let ebay make automatic bids for them up to that price.

Got a link to the auction?

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
Thanks! I did check his profile, and he's got a 91.7% positive feedback score. Now, the only negative feedback reads something like "Beware, guy doesn't pay. Not recomended" The rest say something along the lines of "fast payment... good ebayer"
I will try to contact him. Location says: United States... not very specific.

blainestang

Established Member
What probably happened is that your reserve was @ $5000 (right?) and when he put his maximum bid in, it was greater than $5000, so the bid automatically went up to $5000. It bumped it up because it would be useless for 2 people to be in a bidding war below the reserve. If someone puts in a maximum bid greater than the reserve, it is automatically bumped to that. From now on, however, in order for the bid to go higher, there must be another person who's max bid is greater than $5000, or the bid will not go up, even if the first bidder puts his "maximum bid" up to $10,000.

Hopefully that made sense... but if you haven't used ebay much, it might not.

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
I just tried sending him a message and this is what I got:

The user you are contacting is registered on another eBay site and may speak a different language. Your message will be sent exactly as typed below

This is weird

blainestang

Established Member
ScrpnVNM said:
I just tried sending him a message and this is what I got:

The user you are contacting is registered on another eBay site and may speak a different language. Your message will be sent exactly as typed below

This is weird

I think it says that every time, but I could be wrong.

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
blainestang said:
What probably happened is that your reserve was @ $5000 (right?) and when he put his maximum bid in, it was greater than $5000, so the bid automatically went up to $5000. It bumped it up because it would be useless for 2 people to be in a bidding war below the reserve. If someone puts in a maximum bid greater than the reserve, it is automatically bumped to that. From now on, however, in order for the bid to go higher, there must be another person who's max bid is greater than $5000, or the bid will not go up, even if the first bidder puts his "maximum bid" up to $10,000.

Hopefully that made sense... but if you haven't used ebay much, it might not.

uummmm... I' a little confused here. You say if the bid is greater than the reserve, the bid will automatically go down to the reserve price. It would be easy, then, to figure out the reserve price... right? Just bid a good amount of money over the starting price and, with an educated guess, you can find out the reserve price. That is not good, is it? There wasn't a "war" below the reserve, this guy is the only one who has bid anything, so clearly he went up a good bit.

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
ElGato said:
Vnm,

beautiful fox, great color. Just wait it out, you should be ok.

thanks man! :pepper: how did you get to see the car? Oh no, I think I'm becoming paranoid!!! :??:

nvm, I just saw someone posted a link. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread