Help! Engine tapping

redrocket1985

Established Member
This is a 2014 with 3,000 miles. I can hear a tapping noise upon start up that then stops when revved or when engine is up to temp. Sounds like lifter tap to me. Thought?

A.M.R

Established Member
Does it sound like this?

[video=youtube_share;Z9rmXz61vYU]http://youtu.be/Z9rmXz61vYU[/video]

Last edited:

A.M.R

Established Member
Damn that exactly what my 08 GT500 sounded like, the noise was coming from the passenger side cylinder head, OP if you're engine is making that noise make sure you're running the motorcraft oil filter.

My noise was from pistons rings. Removed the engine out and tried moving the pistons back and forth to see how much play there was, turns out they had quite a bit, which was causing the sound, and the burning of oil.

OP, I don't think you're problem is as serious. I've read about your sound in the past on a few threads, and a few people said it was normal.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
My noise was from pistons rings. Removed the engine out and tried moving the pistons back and forth to see how much play there was, turns out they had quite a bit, which was causing the sound, and the burning of oil.

OP, I don't think you're problem is as serious. I've read about your sound in the past on a few threads, and a few people said it was normal.

Did the tapping sound only happen when it was cold?

A.M.R

Established Member
Did the tapping sound only happen when it was cold?

Nope, even when the engine was up to operating temps, I could still hear the sound. It sounded like a bad lifter, but after proper inspection of the heads and engine, it turned out to be the rings:(

A.M.R

Established Member
OP, how's your oil level? Where is the sound most noticeable? Does the speed increase when you go up the RPMs?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Nope, even when the engine was up to operating temps, I could still hear the sound. It sounded like a bad lifter, but after proper inspection of the heads and engine, it turned out to be the rings:(

Ya my engine only made the noise on cold start up, once it warmed up it was quite.

Fastfish420

Established Member
Mine has 1200 miles and i hear and tapping noise at times from left cylinder head,only when warm..mostly hear it when pulling beside wall at idle..i do not hear it off idle..i figured it was a lifter..

BadSonicBlueSVT

Established Member
I have that same tap it comes and goes. I have taken my car to the dealer twice for them to tell me they can't find the noise or they don't hear it. I did it just to have it documented before and after mods. My car doesn't do it every time I'm in it but it is the drivers side or left cylinder head. I only have 13-6/ no pulley and suspension. Change the oil every six months at the dealer and only 5100 miles. I'd like to know what it is just for my own peace of mind.

paluka21

Established Member
Mine has 1200 miles and i hear and tapping noise at times from left cylinder head,only when warm..mostly hear it when pulling beside wall at idle..i do not hear it off idle..i figured it was a lifter..

Same here. Mine seems to come and go as well, and is not consistent. Here is a thread I started a while back for anyone who wants to compare:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...529-Noisy-valve-train-or-injectors&highlight=

I also listened to a friends '14 GT500 and his has the same exact tapping noise from the drivers side area. I'm guessing its just the norm with these cars.

paluka21

Established Member

Any white smoke from the exhaust or valve cover breather? ( assuming you removed a breather while engine was running )

A.M.R

Established Member
Any white smoke from the exhaust or valve cover breather? ( assuming you removed a breather while engine was running )

Yup, smoke was coming out of the dip stick and oil cap while the engine was running.

paluka21

Established Member
Yup, smoke was coming out of the dip stick and oil cap while the engine was running.

Yep, definitely a sure sign of ring wear / loose gaps particularly if the car is warmed up. I'll have to take a look at mine next time I have it out of hibernation.

A.M.R

Established Member
Yep, definitely a sure sign of ring wear / loose gaps particularly if the car is warmed up. I'll have to take a look at mine next time I have it out of hibernation.

Yeah, it's a real shame. Especially considering the only mods I did to the engine were CAI + TB + Lund Tune.

Trying to figure out what was the cause of this is what's pissing me off the most. As of now, I still have no idea how it happened.

Mind if I ask what heat range spark plugs you're using? One theory that came up during conversation with Michael from L&M was hot spark plugs. At the time I was using the TR6s. It's not a sure thing that it's the cause, but could be something to explore.

Users who are viewing this thread