HELP: Dirtiest Valves I Have Ever Seen

CzchMex

Established Member
So I decided to finally tear down the top of my engine to kill many birds with one stone. I plan on doing the COP conversion, clean my IMRCs, Eliminate EGR, and clean the engine.

While I was taking apart my intake to get to the IMRCs I noticed that my valves are the dirtiest things I have ever seen. It's worse than those commercials that advertise bad valves.

The dirtiest valves are on the butterfly side of the intakes. The side with the injector is obviously dirty but normal for 100k engine. Have they ever been cleaned? Don't know. I've done seafoam a couple of times in the past.

But the butterfly valve side. Literally is caked on and wet looking.

This is one
3A882449-E52C-4A5F-909A-0FC89F488C5D.jpg

This is another
BE95176C-6C45-4613-9536-BF072A841381.jpg

Now the others look either just as bad or better but those seem to be the worst. The real question I have is how is it getting there? This is coming from the intake. There is no signs of the head leaking oil at the valve. So how so much and wet?

Also how would be the best way to clean those. I'm not taking the heads off. At least I don't think I will be.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Your PCV naturally re-distributes oil vapor from the engine back through the intake, this with the combination of EGR gasses and no fuel flow from injectors and heat, results in what you see above. As numerous people, myself included, have stated in the past. Seafoam will not touch the secondary intake ports, it's more of a combustion chamber cleaner if anything. The only way to ensure the secondary valves remain clean is to do as you are now, tear down and clean manually. You could also install an oil separator in the PCV line and delete the EGR, assuming you're in a state that allows so as far as emissions. Yours are the worst I've ever seen though.

As far as cleaning, I would recommend Berryman's B-12 Chemtool and a toothbrush. Close the valve, pour a little in the port and brush away easily. Then use a shop vac to remove the undesirables or soak it up in rags.

Edit: Added pics.

There are mine prior to cleaning w/ Berryman's B-12 Chemtool:
IMG_0993.jpg

Post Cleaning:
IMG_0995.jpg

Last edited:

CzchMex

Established Member
Lol. Yea. I figured someone would say mine were the dirtiest. I am thinking about installing an oil separator to help. But thanks for confirming the way you cleaned yours. I was thinking on the lines of that.

Users who are viewing this thread