Help diagnosing a problem...

gopats76

Established Member
Short story long... Car fell on it's face when I stabbed it in 2nd gear right at about 5000 RPM. It had never done that before, so I did it again to see and of course it did it again. I drove it home (never got on boost). Next day took it to dyno and had it data logged on the street. On the way there I let out of the gas to get off the highway and the car started bucking. On the exit ramp the car shut off. Next light it did the same thing and when I started it back up it was black smoke everywhere and I had to feather the gas to keep it running. On top of that it smelled of gas bad! Everything on the tuner's datalog looked good and normal except for a spike in the O2 sensors. I replaced them right then. Then my A/F was rich at idle 10:1 and then all the way back to 17:1. Ran out of troubleshooting time.
Car ran fine on the way home (still staying out of boost). Next day going back to a friends house to continue troubleshooting, I did not make it 1.5 miles away from home and it was smoking again (black) and quitting every 2 seconds. I replaced the FRPS and the car seems to be okay for now and idles good although my A/F gauge still reads rich when first started 13:1 and sometimes 10:1. Then, after holding the gas at 1,500 RPM for a few seconds it goes back to 16:1.
I am in the process of changing plugs and I already changed the oil after replacing the FRPS. I also cleaned the mass air.
We checked for vacuum leaks and found nothing. No exhaust leaks either.
Am I missing anything? Any other advice?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Probably the FRPS. Now that you have changed it you should be fine, but if it starts acting up again you may have other problems.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread