• 03+ Mazdaspeed Protege

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • 92+ Honda Civic and turbo it.

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

00 SVTC

Established Member
Alright, the time has come where I want to get into a different car. As nice as it is to pick and choose which vehicle I want to drive today, I kind of want to have one that I can drive all year and have one vehicle I can mod. My criteria is that it must have a manual tranny, I want something thats sporty, some version of FI is what I'm looking for, and MPG is being kept in mind. I'm not 100% sure what my price limit is, but it seems like 12K or under is my goal.

So far I've narrowed it down to an 99.5+ Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5 speed, a Subaru WRX, a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege, or possibly a Civic that I would rebuild and turbocharge.

I have always liked the way the A4s looked, and if I could I would want to get an 02-04 because that is my favorite. There is a good aftermarket for it and the car is so luxorious I just love it. I have wanted a WRX for a while now and its a quick AWD car that has a great aftermarket. The one I found is a all stock 03 so its a good platform to start out. Then with the MSP it would be going to a FWD and I like the way the body looks. The aftermarket is pretty good for whatever you want and the cars are cheaper. For the same price range as the others I can get it with half the miliage. Finally the Civic has always been in the back of my head cause I had a cheap Civic that I turbod a while back and it was one of the funnest cars I've had. It was a gokart on steroids and held its own by running beside a HCI '96 GT. Now just to make it clear this isn't something that would look like it could take off and fly, it would stay stock body with wheels, lowered, factory spoiler, and a non coffee can exhaust.

So what do you think? Any other suggestions?

800px-'02-'05_Audi_A4_Quattro_Sedan.jpg

WRX_6.JPG

9953-2003-Mazda-Protege.jpg

99.honda.civic.SI.f3-4.500.jpg

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I said no to the Audi because I would not want to deal with an Audi that wasn't under warrenty.

I said no to the Mazda because for what they are they aren't very quick.

I said no to the Turbo Civic just because it sounds like a pain in the ass.

I said yes to the WRX because they're quick, reliable, and handle well.

I don't know how you like to drive but I am leary of the WRX tranmissions.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
audi will get way to expensive to fix, I worked at a used car dealership years ago and when those things broke the bill to fix them from audi was HUGE

so go with the subaru, its fast reliable and should last a long time

00 SVTC

Established Member
I've been leaning towards the WRX but I'm just looking for some opinions. If someone said they've had problems with one, or good luck with the other, it'd be nice to know.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
buy a foxbody to make as a fast toy
and a used corolla for everyday driving.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
You might look at the 1st generation eclipse/talons. Get the turbo/awd and they're cheap and easy to make fast. Out of the listed I'd take the WRX.

Solopony

Established Member
Whoever said the Mazda isn't quick doesn't realize they run 14.0's out of the box over 100. It's actually quicker than a stock wrx specially from a roll. I'd personally go with the Mazda.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Whoever said the Mazda isn't quick doesn't realize they run 14.0's out of the box over 100. It's actually quicker than a stock wrx specially from a roll. I'd personally go with the Mazda.

Oh please, 170 hp @ 5500 rpm/155 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm isn't running that consistantly. I watch them run 15s at the track all the time, I think Motor Trend was trapping 93mph... You're posting times for a SRT4.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member

I think your talking about the mazda speed3/6

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
The Audi A6 2.7TT is also a good option and can be had for under 12. Has way more potential than the A4 1.8t. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

One thing about Audi's though. When they break they are NOT cheap to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread