Help deciding next car. Evo or Vette

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Hey guys, i guess this would be the right section for this. Right now i have a 2012 mustang, its supercharged and makes 650hp. Its a fun car and i love it, but i just grew bored with it and want something different, so its for sale. I've had 3 cars and all have been mustangs so its time for something new.

My choices are getting a c6 vette, either a base ls3 or maybe a grand sport/z06 but those two might be pushing my budget. Its affordable but i'd rather not pay that much a month where as the evo would be similar payment to the mustang now and also be brand new, any of the vette's would be used.

My dilemma is how much money it would take to get the evo as fast as the vette or my mustang. But it's a completely different game and car, it might be fun just to do something other than a rwd v8. I've driven in built and stock evo's and they really are awesome cars (but not for everyone) i have never been in a vette.

The other thing is if i don't want to pay the extra for a grand sport/z06 i'll be in a base model vette, and possibly always want more and look up to the c6z which is definitely going to happen lol. The evo is at the top of the list for that kind of car.

I guess it comes down to that i love both cars and would be happy in either or, but the evo will take more money to make fast, but its also cheaper to mod. The vette is already fast and expensive to mod. I understand they are completely different cars and most people don't cross shop these two platforms but i am. Just looking for possibly some unbiased opinions on a mustang forum, although i feel most will say pick the vette.

Any and all opinions welcome, it will be my choice at the end and i'll buy what i think i would enjoy most. Just looking for other people's view and maybe past experience

Commbubba19

because racecar....crash
Established Member
Read up on the Evo X forums. I stearred away due to a corrosion issue on a part of the awd system that is expensive and Mitsubishi will not cover under warranty.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
The C6Z is number one choice, and nothing beats the sound (or performance) of a cammed Z. its my dream car, but i just don't want to stretch the budget. its a possibility but i'd rather not pay so much a month for a car, especially one that will only be driven on the weekend.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I sold my Evo X this past winter and ended up buying a 2004 Cobra. I didn't sell my X to buy the Cobra it just got to a point where I was bored with the car.

In comparison to a muscle car the Evo was very nimble with great steering response. I would say the X was a scalpel to the muscle car being a machete.

The Evo was also year round fun where a rwd V8 is obviously a garage queen in the winter. I think I had more fun in the snow with my X then I ever had with it in the dry.

For me, it just got to a point where it was going to cost thousands and thousands to squeeze any more horsepower out of the car. The rule of thumb with the Evo X is don't surpass 385 tq or your going to put a window in your block. With that being said the X does respond great to aftermarket mods and a tune but they aren't necessarily cheap and don't expect Mitsubishi to help you with any type of warranty work if you so much as mod your valve stems.

In the end, it depends on what your needs and wants are. If you want a year round fun and responsive car that responds well to mods and can get you to around the 400hp range then the X is a great car. For me, I didn't need my X anymore since I have a truck and I wasn't going to put $10k into it just so I could hang with stock v8's.

Good luck in your decision and if you have any questions feel free to ask or PM, I was very active in the Evo X scene for quite awhile.

KingJacobo

GM Fanboy Gone Darkside
Established Member
I would go base model vette, personally. If you're really itching to try something new, go for the Evo. They're supposed to be really fun. I just can't give up RWD, V8 exhaust note, tire roasting torque. Exhaust and tune the vette, call it a day.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Thanks HudsonFalcon, very good advice. Thats my big issue, i want to get and evo and play with that side of the car world for a bit, but it needs a built motor and tranny and rear and who knows what else to handle the power that my car makes now with just a blower and same with the vette. slap on a blower and you make much more than a stock evo can handle.

It's fun building, and i would NOT be satisfied with 400hp. So if i get an evo, it would definitely get built and thats not cheap. and again, its thousands of dollars to hang with a stock v8.

But from the first day i bought my mustang, i shopped between the mustang and the evo, and at the end of the day always chose the mustang for this reason. straight line performance and horsepower capability is better with the v8's.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
I would go base model vette, personally. If you're really itching to try something new, go for the Evo. They're supposed to be really fun. I just can't give up RWD, V8 exhaust note, tire roasting torque. Exhaust and tune the vette, call it a day.

I'll definitely miss the v8 exhaust note. but i would not be calling it a day with exhaust and tune lol. headers, blower, maybe heads/cam. nothing i buy will be lightly modded, which is why the evo is an option, either way i won't be going easy with mods so i expect to spend a lot of money regardless. its a fun hobby for me not an investment.

I can never make up my mind with cars

xenodragon

Established Member
Z06->evo->c6

My buddy has a 400whp/Tq evo x. Cost him around 6k to get to that. He did not install anything on his own FWIW.

My Cobra beat him when he was stock and modded
My 335 (tune only) beat him stock, lost when he was modded
CTSV beat him when he was modded. My V was stock

These were all 30-40mph roll races

He destroys me around any corner though!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You should never buy an Evo based on its straight line capabilities alone. It's a handler and it scoots well.

It's no corvette though.

I'd take a c6 over an Evo any day of the week, unless I was somewhere where awd was a necessity.

Rct851

Established Member
Sounds like your going to be putting 10k worth of mods in it so I don't understand why the z06 is a budget stretcher

If it were me if go z06 but not before looking really hard at the option of supercharging a grand sport. Mag ride , removable top, possibly better optioned interior.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
The evo is so apealing to me because of the awd turbo, and the amazing handling. It wouldn't be for straight line only, but I drag race so it's still capable but with some money to actually be fast.

The vette is obviously faster in a straight line. Like I said they are completely different cars, both fun and both have pros and cons.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Putting 10 grand into isn't the issue, that will be in either car and over time with mods. I just want to keep the payment lower. Both cars are "affordable" but I would be more comfortable and have extra money with the evo. Like I said both have pros and cons. I figured most people here would say the vette lol

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I love turbo 4cyls but even I wouldn't take an Evo over a Vette. Maybe if this was 2006 and we were comparing a 9 vs a base C5, and even then I'd say c5.

Users who are viewing this thread