Help! Coolant leaking from radiator cap?!?!

webgirlsarefun

Established Member
K...this is really weird...but coolant is leaking from (what appears to be) my radiator cap. It's on right, heard the "click"...no change in temperature, but my fluid level light eventually comes on once enough has leaked out. And oh, the lovely smell.

This ever happen to anyone? Any ideas?

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I have 3K miles on myne now and I can see that some fluid comes out the cap, even thou it is tight. I clean it off and It will come back, but the fluid level is high. I think it is actually overfilled.

webgirlsarefun

Established Member
Originally posted by johnsonl
I have 3K miles on myne now and I can see that some fluid comes out the cap, even thou it is tight. I clean it off and It will come back, but the fluid level is high. I think it is actually overfilled.

I thought that too, at first...but enough leaks out that after everything settles with the cap off, the fluid level is about 2 inches below the max fill line.

svtcobra202

Flyers Fan
Established Member
My car used to do that back in 1999 - my solution was to remove fluid - my tank is about 3-4 inches below the cap when cold - I have had no problems since. When the car is hot the fluid is near the cap.

Try it

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Do you have the overflow tube that comes out of the bottom of the filler neck? A crack in this area (or the filler neck itself) will let the fluid squeeze out real easy.

Last edited:

webgirlsarefun

Established Member
Originally posted by svtcobra202
My car used to do that back in 1999 - my solution was to remove fluid - my tank is about 3-4 inches below the cap when cold - I have had no problems since. When the car is hot the fluid is near the cap.

Try it

I'm assuming your fluid light comes on until it heats up?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by svtcobra202

Try it

aren't you supposed to check the level with the coolant heated up....or am i bass ackwards?

Users who are viewing this thread