help computer guys

skyhighsd

Established Member
Ok so my gf buys me a new computer and I know jack about them. The issue I am having is that it is a 64 bit operating system and I can not see videos because adobe cant support it. How do I change it to a (I think) 32 bit system. Really sucks not being able to see vids.
Thanks

Juruense

Banned
You would have to install a 32 bit OS to change it to 32, a pretty significant operation.

What format video are you trying to view? There should be a viewer online somewhere that runs on your 64 bit system.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
You most likely do NOT want to convert to a 32 bit. Like kilgore already said, its quite an operation, much easier to find a video player. VLC should play anything you need it to if you cant get windows media to work.

skyhighsd

Established Member
What do you mean you cant see videos? Online? or like in windows Media?

when I go on you tube it says I have a old verion of adobe flash player and then when I go on adobe site to down load a new verison it says that my system is a 64 bit operating system and they dont have software to support it?

99cobra302

Established Member
another reason you shouldnt downgrade to 32bt.......your computer probably came with more RAM (memory) than 32bit can physically see or use (which is more than 3.5gb) so it came pre-loaded with 64bit to make use of all of it. plus it takes full advantage of the processor as almost all of the new processors are 64bit.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I wouldn't downgrade to the 32-bit system either, because the capability as far as RAM is much higher on the 64-bit system as opposed to the 32-bit. 3.5 Gb is more than enough for the majority of people, but I wouldn't take a step back as others have said, just find a player that will support it. The 64-bit is still a fairly new concept as far as PC's go, but once you find the media to support it you'll be much happier.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
If you want to downgrade to 32 bit because of compatibility issues, it's actually not difficult. You will most likely need to buy a new OS Disc, I'm not sure if the manufacturer will send you a 32 bit disc if you have 64, but I don't know. With a 64 bit OS you will run into problems from time to time with software and hardware compatibility, but I'm guessing that you probably aren't going to be swapping parts out any time soon. If you don't know much about computers, just stick with what you have. The move to 64 bit is coming along.

homer302

Banned
Yeah, that's a tough call. She clearly just bought whatever the salesman said was the greatest (and cost the most). Nothing wrong with 64 bit, as was mentioned above, 64 bit is coming and will take over but you are going to fight little problems like this forever. It's your call. I am sure your PC came with a restoration CD. If so, the actual conversion back to 32 bit itself might be fairly easy and you could go back to 64 even easier; however then you might run into problems with your 64 bit hardware not working with a 32 OS.

Long story short, I would return it. By the time 64 is really taking over that PC will probably be due for replacement anyway.

Good luck. As with everything, you can google or Wiki the 64 bit and see the difference. No doubt it's a bad ass machine. 64 is better at the end of the day but compatibility with stuff is going to hound you for some time.

JasonSnake

Established Member
Doesn't a 64-bit and 32-bit version of IE come with Vista 64? I thought it did....

Users who are viewing this thread