Help Check Engine Code P0455

snakeeyes99

SVT Poster
Established Member
So after a few weeks after installing the blower, I get this code P0455. Says its an EVAP leak. A large one. I did install a 2004 cobra tank and pump on my 99 cobra. I'm thinking something got screwed up there. Let me know if any of you had experience with this code and what you did and checked to fix. Thanks.

snakeeyes99

SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey buddy, unless you want to offer some advice keep your attitude to yourself. I'm not a mechanic by trade and did install everything myself - blower, fuel tank, etc. I know it has something to do with the evap canisters or the hoses. What I was hoping for was another new edger replying that they had a similiar issue and what they did to resolve. - Not you and your bullsh** answer.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
There is your problem right there.

What exactly is the problem? That he installed it himself, or that he used the 04 Tank?

snakeeyes99, did you get all of the connections reconnected. You might have a leak in one of the lines. There is one line that runs from one side of the tank to the other. It connects to a tube on the passenger side and one on the driver's side. Did you make sure to put that line back on? I had to pull the one from old tank to use it.

cobraracer46

Banned
lemosley01 said:
What exactly is the problem? That he installed it himself, or that he used the 04 Tank?
let's say that some one installes a new fuel pump and fails to seat the fuel tank gasket correctly or properly connect a vapor hose, can you take a wild guess as to what kind of code you might get? by the way, the guy said he got the code after installing a new fuel tank.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
let's say that some one installes a new fuel pump and fails to seat the fuel tank gasket correctly or properly connect a vapor hose, can you take a wild guess as to what kind of code you might get? by the way, the guy said he got the code after installing a new fuel tank.

That's what he was looking for.

Most of us aren't total dumbasses and can put 2+2 together. New tank setup + EVAP code usually means something is amiss in the install (or with the components. That's why I threw out what I did, or did you fail to comprehend that part of my post?

My point was what did you mean: The problem is because 'he did it himself', as opposed to letting a mechanic handle it, or is there something specific that he should look for. Saying 'there is your problem' is not helpful, and, frankly, I've experienced and heard of enough mechanics ****ing things up that I feel about as comfortable doing stuff like this myself as letting someone else do it for me.

Stop being a dick and try to contribute something positive sometime.

snakeeyes99

SVT Poster
Established Member
ok,
well here are some quick things I noticed between the 99 and 04 tank setup. The 99 tank is different in that next to the fuel fill opening it has a an opening for a fuel evap hose. On the 04 tank there is no such opening, just the fuel fill. So I took that hose that connected back into the 99 tank and just plugged it up. I did that with the advice of another member who did the same swap. Also checked to see the hoses- One of the hoses had a small tear in it. I fixed that up with some electrical tape, but I don't know if that is good enough to do the job. If not, what do you guys suggest? I didn't want to drop the tank again, but its looking like I will.

cobraracer46- Good point with the tank seating issue. I'll have to make sure no hoses got squeezed on the install.

One question for you guys. On the blue evap canisters, I notices that there were two openings. On my 99 one went to a hose while the other was left open. Is that still right on the 04?

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
snakeeyes99 said:
ok,
well here are some quick things I noticed between the 99 and 04 tank setup. The 99 tank is different in that next to the fuel fill opening it has a an opening for a fuel evap hose. On the 04 tank there is no such opening, just the fuel fill. So I took that hose that connected back into the 99 tank and just plugged it up. I did that with the advice of another member who did the same swap. Also checked to see the hoses- One of the hoses had a small tear in it. I fixed that up with some electrical tape, but I don't know if that is good enough to do the job. If not, what do you guys suggest? I didn't want to drop the tank again, but its looking like I will.

snakeeyes, I know what you are talking about on the 99 tank with the opening next to the fuel fill and the 04 tank not having one. However, the hose would connect to the opening on the 99 tank goes up into the plastic 'box' that holds the filler next etc. That hose has to go to something. I pulled the long plastic hose off of my 99 tank and used it on the 03 tank. I connected it to the hose from the trunk area that does not now have a connection on the 03 tank, then connected the otherside to the driver side charcoal cannister, or whatever it is.

I'll try and get pictures and take a look at my setup when I get home because I don't really remember all of the details. I should have taken pics beforehand.

Also, the hose with the tear in it should be replaced.

cobraracer46- Good point with the tank seating issue. I'll have to make sure no hoses got squeezed on the install.

One question for you guys. On the blue evap canisters, I notices that there were two openings. On my 99 one went to a hose while the other was left open. Is that still right on the 04?

I left that same connection 'disconnected'. I have no idea what it is for? Maybe someone else can shed some light on it.

Last edited:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Hey, If I came off sounding like a dick, I apologize, just trying to help :)

No worries, and your second post did help. I wouldn't think to check the fuel pump/seal. That's the type of stuff we can use.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
OK snakeeyes - here is the is what line I had to use. My 03 Cobra tank came with the line that has the connector with the plastic c-clip on the driver's side and runs to the blue canister.

This is where I connected it on the driver's side:
[img=http://img461.imageshack.us/img461/74/fueltankdriversside6oq.jpg]

This is where I connected it on the passenger's side:

Basically, I just reconnected it where it came from. I know there was a 'thin' hardline coming from the fuel filler, but that connected into my 04 setup as well. It connects using a connector that uses a c-clip, just slightly smaller. It is the middle hose in the 3rd picture.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread