HELP! Changing my Shifter Gasket and Old Shifter Doesn't come out?

Nordy

Looking for a Terminator!
Established Member
Can anyone help, is there a specific process to removing the Shifter as I have taken all 4 bolts out?

Thanks

Romans8:28

Established Member
Give it a good knock sideways at the base to break lose the hold the old sealant has on it. Don't worry, it will come lose long before you can damage it.

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
Carefully tap a sharp edge under there to break the seal? :shrug: i.e. thin screwdriver, small hammer claw. Don't get any gasket material in the trans, but you prob know that already.

Nordy

Established Member
Thanks Guys! I am giving up as its stuck on like glue and I will only break something I am sure. I will put some sponge ontop of the rubber sounder and that should quiet it down. Oh well so much for changing to Cobra Bob's today.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If its stuck REALLY bad like that you may have to take a razor blade or putty knife and get up under the base of the shifter....

Putting Dynamat (or similar) on top of the tunnel helps quite a bit as well.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
That’s strange, I barely put any pressure on mine and it popped right off.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
a good knock from a mallet or a dead blow will work.. it may take multiple attempts but will give.. nothing can really go wrong with breakin ANYTHING

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Don't give up. Take a piece of wood and your hammer then place the wood at the base of the shifter flange and hit it hard a few times with the hammer. You will not break anything. :beer:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
There is another way to do it. Leave in one of the rear bolts, but back it out most of the way. Take a pair of channel-lok pliers and turn them upside down. Put the top jaw onder the lip of the shifter and rest the bottom jaw on to of the bolt head. Now squeeze and the seal will break.

Here's another way courtesy of Joe Lynch.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah. Sometimes they can be a PIA.

I went under my car with a prybar and a hammer and popped the base a few times and it finally gave up.

RoyWoods

Established Member
Mine was stuck on there REALLY tight as well. Just be careful, b/c when it does finally give, it may try and get some revenge on you for beating on it so much. ;-)

Nordy

Established Member
Thanks Guys! It seems you cannot get any type of clamp / mechanism on the shifter from above as its shaped to match the tranny housing it sits on. I spent 2 hours messing around with it and have given up until the next time as I tried literally everything possible from above, I have big hands and can't get a razor blade in the small gap to shave off the old gasket. Last owner changed the shifter to a Steeda Triax and it's on there real tight.

Users who are viewing this thread