HELP! CCRM or just a bad connection?

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
I just replaced my burnt out factory electric fan with one from an '04 Cobra. The original seized and the connector melted. I have been hoping that the CCRM didn't get messed up when this happened. I just replaced almost the entire cooling system with an '04 radiator and electric fan, '99 water pump, '04 180* thermostat, and new sensors.

I had to change connectors to 1: replace the melted '96 connector and 2: to switch to the '04 style connector. I found a connector in the junkyard but it had the wrong gauge wires. So I pulled the connector apart and cut off the wires. I soldered the "pins" to the wire harness and then reassembled the connector and plugged it into the fan connector making sure I had the correct wires matching. I wasn't too happy with the connection for the signal wire though.
After cranking to burp the system with the AC on Max and full hot then fan was running! So I thought :banana::rockon: CCRM is ok. Then I turned off the AC and drove around the block to help push more air out of the system. I looked at the gauges and the temp was climbing quickly and almost to overheating. Pulled back in the driveway, popped the hood and fan wasn't running. Then just to check I turned the AC back on and on comes the fan.

So now I'm thinking it's a bad connection on the signal wire. I plan to pick up a new splice kit from Ford after work.
But I still would like everyone's opinion. Could my CCRM be meesed up and need to be replaced or is it just a bad connection.

Sorry it so long guys!:beer:

On another note the fan does move some air!:rockon:

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
Anyone?:shrug:

Also does anyone have a Ford part number for the fan connector to splice into the factory '96 harness? The parts guy at my local dealership couldn't find it.
I'm going to hit up the junkyard after work today. Hopefully I can find one there. Last time they didn't have a car new enough to match the fan connector style.

Thanks!:beer:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Check the wire connection to the ECT sensor in the passengerside of the crossover tube. It controls the fan. This sensor gets heated by flow of coolant through the crossover tube so assure that coolant is rising to the crossover tube's plug. With the A/C off, test the ECT sensor by unplugging it and connecting the wires together by inserting a jumper wire (a paper clip will do). The fan should run. If not, check the wiring and/or replace the ECT sensor. Check that coolant is flowing through the crossover tube by carefully touching it with a finger to see if it ia too hot to hold on to. If its just warm coolant is not flowing.

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
Check the wire connection to the ECT sensor in the passengerside of the crossover tube. It controls the fan. This sensor gets heated by flow of coolant through the crossover tube so assure that coolant is rising to the crossover tube's plug. With the A/C off, test the ECT sensor by unplugging it and connecting the wires together by inserting a jumper wire (a paper clip will do). The fan should run. If not, check the wiring and/or replace the ECT sensor. Check that coolant is flowing through the crossover tube by carefully touching it with a finger to see if it ia too hot to hold on to. If its just warm coolant is not flowing.

Thanks! It's a brand new ECT in it also. But I'll check the ECT just to be sure. Yes coolant is flowing through the crossover. It gets really hot!

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Anyone?:shrug:

Also does anyone have a Ford part number for the fan connector to splice into the factory '96 harness? The parts guy at my local dealership couldn't find it.
I'm going to hit up the junkyard after work today. Hopefully I can find one there. Last time they didn't have a car new enough to match the fan connector style.

Thanks!:beer:

Any luck at the junkyard?

My local stealership got me a pigtail with the fan plug to splice into the harness when I ordered my replacement fan. SNAKEYE is a '97. If you haven't had any junkyard success I can check to see if I have the paperwork somewhere. If not the parts person is a personal friend and I can ask her to look up the Ford number. If so, please clarify exactly which fan assembly you installed.

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
Any luck at the junkyard?

My local stealership got me a pigtail with the fan plug to splice into the harness when I ordered my replacement fan. SNAKEYE is a '97. If you haven't had any junkyard success I can check to see if I have the paperwork somewhere. If not the parts person is a personal friend and I can ask her to look up the Ford number. If so, please clarify exactly which fan assembly you installed.

Thanks again!
Yes I found a plug that I think will work. But just in case if you find the part number for the pigtail I'm sure it'll be useful to not only myself but for others as well. I installed an '04 Cobra radiator and fan.

Check the wire connection to the ECT sensor in the passengerside of the crossover tube. It controls the fan. This sensor gets heated by flow of coolant through the crossover tube so assure that coolant is rising to the crossover tube's plug. With the A/C off, test the ECT sensor by unplugging it and connecting the wires together by inserting a jumper wire (a paper clip will do). The fan should run. If not, check the wiring and/or replace the ECT sensor.

OK I inserted the jumper wire into the ECT. Cranked the car with the AC off and the fan came on. So I guess that is fine. So I'll try the new fan connector first and see how things go.

Also I found a blown fuse in the engine compartment fuse block. It was a large 30 amp fuse. Located in the center row, first position closest to the fender. Everything I've found says that this is an open slot.:shrug: Is it open? Or is it used for something?

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
OK, I replaced the connector. Fan still doesn't come on. I turn the AC on and it'll run or I unplug the ect and it'll run. Plug the ect back in and the fan doesn't run.

Before replacing the brand new ECT could there be anything else that can cause this?

Also the car is almost overheating even with the fan constantly running. The needle starts to go above the L on the factory gauge. It's making me wonder it the thermostat is even opening. Which is a brand new piece as well. Of course maybe it's still just air trapped in the system.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
OK, I replaced the connector. Fan still doesn't come on. I turn the AC on and it'll run or I unplug the ect and it'll run. Plug the ect back in and the fan doesn't run.

Before replacing the brand new ECT could there be anything else that can cause this?

Also the car is almost overheating even with the fan constantly running. The needle starts to go above the L on the factory gauge. It's making me wonder it the thermostat is even opening. Which is a brand new piece as well. Of course maybe it's still just air trapped in the system.

The fan runs when the ECT is unplugged, and doesn't run with the ECT plugged in? That's weird.

If the fan is running and the coolant temperature still skyrockets I'd say you are having a coolant flow problem: 1) air blockage in crossover tube - needs "burping", 2) radiator core clogged - needs back flushing, 3) radiator hose collapsing - check and replace as needed, or 4) thermostat installed backward - needs flipping.

Other than that you can do the fan mod and switch the fan on whenever you want.

I feel for you because I've been there: 160*F t-stat, fan mods (switches, relays, thermoswitches, auxiliary pusher fan), high capacity water pump, 2-core radiator, and a parallel ECT mod. The combination of the 160*F t-stat (starts coolant flow at a lower temperature), the 2-core rad (more coolant in the air stream) and the parallel ECT mod (turns fan on at approx. 180*F) solved the problem.

RedTwilight

Shinigami Akakage
Established Member
Yeah I'm thinking it's still just air in the system for the climbing temp. The thermostat is in the same way the old one came out and the holes are at the top. I flushed the new radiator before it went in the car. All hoses seem to be fine. So all that's left now is trapped air.

Snakeye- Do you have a link to the parallel ECT mod?

SNAKEYE

Established Member
I wouldn't know why a proper burping shouldn't have worked to begin with. But, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

As for the ECT mod, there is no link because I kind of invented it out of my desparation to cool down my engine and knowledge of electronics, and I never published it.

It involves installing a second ECT sensor in the crossover tube and wiring it in parallel with the existing ECT sensor. I installed a tee connector (male main to female taps) in the existing ECT bong, installed the existing sensor in one of the taps and an identical ECT sensor (bought at my local stealership), and wired the second one in parallel with the stock original. Installing the tee and the (2) ECT sensors in my car was relatively easy as my crossover tube came with the Vortech supercharger and has the bong in a horizontal section of the tube. A stock tube has the bong in a vertical section of the tube and I don't know if sufficient space is available to physically get the compnents installed.

I do have a Word document writeup, with pictures, that I can e-mail you if you PM me with your e-mail address in the message. Even if you have to create your own physical arrangement, the writeup explains the theory of operation, what parts are required (all for less than $40, including Ford's part number for the ECT), and how to install them and do the wiring, along with the all-important very,very positive results!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread