Help! Car Won't Start

jftaro

Established Member
It's a stock 99 Cobra. It ran fine on Friday, did not drive it yesterday and today it won't start. It started and ran a few seconds then died. Then it turned over like there was no fuel or spark. I took the key out and tried it again and it started for a few and died. While it was "running". the guages never registered and the odometer never came on. Tried to get the code but odometer will not come on at all whtn the key is turned on. Everything else electrical works. Any ideas? Thanks.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Originally posted by jftaro
It's a stock 99 Cobra. It ran fine on Friday, did not drive it yesterday and today it won't start. It started and ran a few seconds then died. Then it turned over like there was no fuel or spark. I took the key out and tried it again and it started for a few and died. While it was "running". the guages never registered and the odometer never came on. Tried to get the code but odometer will not come on at all whtn the key is turned on. Everything else electrical works. Any ideas? Thanks.

First thing I would do before looking out for some other root cause is to check to make sure you don't have any crud on your +/- battery connectors. If that isn't the problem then disconnect the battery and take off the passenger kick panel and pull the ECU onto the paasenger floor. Then reconnect the battery and try to start it.

If that doesn't work then discnnect teh battery again and take off the ECU wiring harness and then put it back on making sure you screw the holding bolt back in far enough. Then reconnect the battery and try to start.

If that doesn't work then start looking elsewhere for the cause of the problem.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
start with 1 thing.

the drivers side block to frame ground.

it connects to the frame inside of the drivers side front tire.

hits the block right behind the oil filter. if thats tight an not corroded, check the ECU ground.

take the pass side kickpanel off, and look for the ground. its towards the firewall, and down below the carpet line a bit.

AzDropTop

Established Member
The times it wont start, does it click? Or sputter? I had a starting problem for about 3 months or so, maybe longer, and it ended up being the clutch safety switch. Ford replaced my battery x 2, alternator, starter and finally my clutch switch. Mine would just click. Lights, radio etc were all perfect. Car would sometimes start after sitting for awhile. A lot of folks gave me the adviced already mentioned about the ground cable, but yours seems different with the running then stopping stuff. Have you changed out your fuel filter? Cleaned the injectors? Best of luck and post the results.
rick

jftaro

Established Member
Originally posted by AzDropTop
The times it wont start, does it click? Or sputter? I had a starting problem for about 3 months or so, maybe longer, and it ended up being the clutch safety switch. Ford replaced my battery x 2, alternator, starter and finally my clutch switch. Mine would just click. Lights, radio etc were all perfect. Car would sometimes start after sitting for awhile. A lot of folks gave me the adviced already mentioned about the ground cable, but yours seems different with the running then stopping stuff. Have you changed out your fuel filter? Cleaned the injectors? Best of luck and post the results.
rick

When it won't start, it just turns over fast like the spark plugs are out. I have not had a chance to check anything further yet due to the weather. Stupid rain, lol. Thanks for all the suggestions tho. Will check them tomorrow.

motorCITY

Established Member
jftaro - Just this Saturday @ the track, friend had something similar happen. Ended up, when he removed his spare-tire he accidently hit his fuel cut-off switch. Not sure if the 99s have those, but if so (and you've been in your trunk recently) may be something to look at.
Good Luck.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
the fuel cutoff switch ont hese cars is behind the interior trunk panels off to the drivers side pretty far. its pretty unlikely that happened, but you never know.

jftaro

Established Member
Update

You guys won't believe this or maybe you will. I called my local Ford dealer to have it towed in, I figured I might as well get some use out of my extended warranty, and before I called the tow company, I thought I would try it again. It fired right up. Unbelievable. I kinda wish it hadn't started because now I feel it will always be a crapshoot as to when it will start and i can gaurantee it will be at the most inopportune time that it will not start, lol. Oh well, what do you do. Thanks for all the help guys. This forum rocks.

GodStang

Established Member
IT is alot better then you sending it to Ford telling them what is wrong they go out the to hear it not crank up and it cranks up. They will think he been hitting the Cheeba alittle too much!!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
jftaro

A good and easy way to check the BATT to ENGINE BLOCK ground ... When the no start problem happens again, connect one half of a set of battery jumper cables. Connect one end to the batt ground, and the other end to a good ground on the block. If it starts up now, you have a bad connection either at the battery or at the block! Been there, done that ... the connection at the block tends to loosen and/or corrode. Some times it starts and sometimes it doesn't, BUT, it WILL get worse.

Dan

281R

MUSTANGTRENDS.COM
Established Member
do you have a chip in it? mine did that when I didnt have the chip contacting the connectors right

Users who are viewing this thread