Help car wont idle?

97gt-svt

Established Member
Ok I deleted the Imrc's and put everything back together and went to fire the car and it wont idle. It will run if i keep reving it, but I have to keep it above 1200 rpms. I did check all the vacume lines, wires, ect..... Any suggestions?

97gt-svt

Established Member
That had crossed my mind but it doesnt act like the iac, normally with a bad iac the car will still somewhat idle. It wont even come close to idleing, as soon as I let off the gas it dies. :shrug:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
97gt-svt said:
That had crossed my mind but it doesnt act like the iac, normally with a bad iac the car will still somewhat idle. It wont even come close to idleing, as soon as I let off the gas it dies. :shrug:

IAC. mine did that. as soon as you let off the gas the RPM"s shot straight down and dead.

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
My Cobra did that when one of the injectors got stuck wide open. Hope this isn't your scenario. Did you delete the controller? If you deleted the controller, and your computer doesn't know and thinks they are open all the time, then you are dumping too much fuel and its flooding it.

97gt-svt

Established Member
Well I did delete the controller, but I have a gt computer so it is not in the codes anyway. How can I tell if it is the injectors?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Did you check the IAC yet? If not, go check it and clean it.

Injectors stuck open is a very very remote posibility.
Matter of fact, except for Doubletrouble, I've never seen or heard of all injectors getting stuck open. It just doesn't happen. At least not without something telling them to stay open.
They pulse according to RPM, A/F ratio, TPS and other things that tell them when to open and how long to stay open.

97gt-svt

Established Member
the computer has been tuned for the car, and the car ran just fine before the deletes except for no power because they werent working.

97gt-svt

Established Member
I cleaned the iac sensor and no difference, I think I have it narrowed down to a vacumme leak somewhere. I can hear a small whistle when it is running, i think it might be a gasket on the intake? does this sound like it would cause this to happen.

Mechanic

I am a Honky
Established Member
Make sure the IAC is plugged in. Make sure all the injectors are plugged in. Are all the vacuum hoses plugged in where they are supposed to go? If so you got a vacuum leak. Take a propane torch-dont light it and hold it near the manifold gaskets. If the RPMs pick up slightly or the engine tries to smooth out where you got the torch is your leak. Q: Are the holes on the IMRC deletes plugged where the shaft was?

97gt-svt

Established Member
Actully I kinda got lazy and just took the plates off and just left the rod in there, I figured it would be about the same as if they were open. I did try the torch but all I could find was a map gas torch around the house, not sure if that will do the same thing. The car will idle ok if I give it just a slight amount of gas but as soon as I let of it dies.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
I will throw this out there. My IAC went bad earlier this spring and my car would NOT idle at all. I took the old one off and cleaned it, put it back on, and the only way I got the car to run was to fire it up with my foot to the floor and then pump the gas to keep it going. Even then, it still died.

I ordered a new IAC from AutoZone.com for $51 shipped, plugged it in, fired it right up and I was back in business.

FWIW- Mine died while I was replacing the starter and the car sat for about a week. It had be running around in circles trying to figure out what it was! Car has 85K on the clock with mostly original parts on it.

Good luck :beer:

97gt-svt

Established Member
Well I finaly got the right iac valve in and it was the problem the car idles fine now. I took it out for the first time since the deletes and it feels way better, could not give it everything because I put new gears in it as well. I had a chiped tooth on the old ones. but for now its back in action again:banana:

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
97gt-svt said:
Well I finaly got the right iac valve in and it was the problem the car idles fine now. I took it out for the first time since the deletes and it feels way better, could not give it everything because I put new gears in it as well. I had a chiped tooth on the old ones. but for now its back in action again:banana:

Glad to hear it man, that's why we're here! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread