Help!! Car Overheating

04DOHC

Established Member
My car is overheating.. I have already changed the thermostat but still overheating and flushed out the radiator, I don't know how to trouble shoot so does anyone know of a shop that could trouble shoot and fix the overheating at a reasonable price in the Fort Worth area?

04DOHC

Established Member
yes I did, the system was fully flused and was good for about a month until friday when it was sitting with the ac on and starting getting hot so turned it off...after letting it cool off I tried driving home and was fine, then this monring when driving it on the freeway started getting hot again.. Do you think there could be short in the fans??

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
I had the same problem as you. It was a nightmare. Mine wouldnt overheat it would just burp coolant everywhere. Im not sure about shops arround the dfw area.. Maybe HPP?

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
hmm, have u or anyone that has ever worked on your car put the wrong type of coolant in your motor? that happened to me and it has been an on going thing for the last 8 months, so what i have to do is everytime i notice its losing coolant or boiling it away, i have to go and get it flushed out like 3 times. if this is the case, than its residue building up in the motor and radiator and causing a bunch of blockages. im goin to start changing out components like the radiator and hoses soon to get rid of any possible residue thats left over, it hasnt had a problem in like 3 months so i think i might be good for a while.

slider701

Established Member
You can have air in the system and the car will run fine until it gets real hot outside (95-100) and then it will start acting up.

The best way to burp the air out of the system is to jack the car up if you can in the front, remove the plug from the cross over tube, put a large funnel in the hole that will thread or seat in it, and run the car till it gets up to operating temperature and the t-stat cycles open and close. By keeping coolant in the funnel it will become the highest point in the cooling system and you will eventually burp the air out of the system. You will see the level of the coolant raise and lower in the funnel as the t-stat opens and closes and as you get the air to work out of the system. After about 15 minutes try to drain the funnel as much as possible and then put the plug back in place. Then top the overflow bottle off to the hot mark

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
RedfireSVT said:
i would check to make sure the fan is functioning properly.

X1bahzillion.

Thats your problem
I have had the same issue on my last 2 stangs in the past year and a half...

Mach1Marauder

Banned
I alway put my car up on ramps when I burp the system. I have it easy with the electric water pump in getting all the air out. If you have the head cooling mod, it can make getting ALL the air out more difficult.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
they put gm dexcool in your car or something? the only 'wrong' type of coolant is the orange stuff but thats only found in police cars and taxis. the green and yellow mix just fine with eachother, and with aftermarket anti-freezes (eg., prestone)

instead of just throwing parts at the problem, try a pressure test. sounds like either your thermostat sticks shut, or you have a leak somewhere (cap or tank) and the system cant build pressure.

rrpederson said:
hmm, have u or anyone that has ever worked on your car put the wrong type of coolant in your motor? that happened to me and it has been an on going thing for the last 8 months, so what i have to do is everytime i notice its losing coolant or boiling it away, i have to go and get it flushed out like 3 times. if this is the case, than its residue building up in the motor and radiator and causing a bunch of blockages. im goin to start changing out components like the radiator and hoses soon to get rid of any possible residue thats left over, it hasnt had a problem in like 3 months so i think i might be good for a while.

quik6

SVT powered at last
Established Member
I was having the same problem as you, it was the fan. Just make a checklist of all the suggestions from this thread, and run through them sometime.

Mach1Marauder

Banned
Car-less Chris said:
im in arlington near mansfield gimme a call 817-465-4327 gearheads performance..we can fix it for ya..

Just don't let him touch your pullies!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm pretty sure can fix his own stuff Chris. This is not that difficult problem to solve.

PS.............Why is you engine outta your car AGAIN???

04DOHC

Established Member
I had one of my buddys flush the system and burp it just to make sure that there wasn't any air pockets... when looking at the collant it was dexcool....so far it is running fine I just have to drive it around for while to make sure it's not going to crap on me again. Thxs for everyones input :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread